Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another one for the Fender experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Nov 13, 2004.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Which was considered the better edition of the P bass, the 50th anniversary of the P bass, or the 50th anniversary of Fender, and what years were each of them made?

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    My American Standard P sported a 50th anniversary sticker when I bought it, if I recall correctly that was in 1995 or 1996. So that would be Fender's 50th. They also released some 50th basses that year with flame maple tops ... mine is not one of those, but had the sticker none the less.

Did a little googline and I also found this ... the 50th anniversary of the '51 P:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM01/Content/Fender/PR/50th-Anniversary-P-Bass.html

So it sounds like the answer is "both". I also noticed a 50th model of the '54 strat ... released this year. Sounds like there will be a 50th anniversary model for every possible anniversary.

3. The 50th anniversary P bass in the link is the Custom Shop edition, which is obviously the best edition. But comparing the simple American anniversary editions, both had more attention to detail. The Fender 50th had FMT's and stuff, and the P bass 50th was a limited run of 1957-style blonde P's.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If you mean the limited run (476 Basses) of butterscotch blonde P-Basses made in 2001, I have one. According to Fender, the only thing that differentiates it from a 2001 Standard American P-Bass is the paint job and the cheesy black aluminum pickguard which I replaced. Other than that, it is an ash-bodied P-Bass and nothing more. Having said all that, I love the sound and the look of mine and wouldn't consider selling it. It gets compliments on a regular basis for both it's tone and appearance.

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    how you do to intonate strings cos there are 2 per saddle??

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You raise one side of the saddle higher than the other. So in normal use, the saddles look like this: /\ (although not quite that extreme ;) )