Another one of Liquid's "Trend I've been noticing latley" threads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jul 20, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey cats. I've been noticing a trend in local bands, that is probaly really nothing new. I'm talking about bands that have a lot of pieces that don't really need the pieces. I'm NOT talking about bands with horn sections, fiddle players, keyboardist, steel players, ect. What I'm talking about are bands with 3 and 4 guitar players in them. Problem is though, it isn't a Skynrd/Outlaws/Iron Maiden style guitar attack, it's usually one decent lead player, and 2 or 3 very mediocre rythm players. I think the main reason this is, is because each individual musician in the band, usually isn't very good to stand by themselves, so they need extra guitarist to help build their sound. I guess since I gig for money, I don't really understand why you would want 3+ guitarist in the band if they aren't contributing much. I much rather have a good vocalist/rythm player, killer lead player, busy bassist (when he needs to be of course ;) ), and a powerhouse drummer. I'm all about the streamlining I guess. Of course, I don't consider it a good paying gig unless I'm walking away with at least 50 dollars. Also, another trend I've noticed is having 3 awesome musicians in a band, then having this mediocre rythm player who does nothing but bang on some open chords the whole time. This guy might sing lead vocals on 1 or 2 songs the whole night. He puts you in mind of someone who sat in his living room just strumming an acoustic guitar for 20 years, and he's friends with the drummer, so they let him in the band cause the lead player wants some chords underneath his solo's. I'm not dissing guys who just play rythm, cause I've seen a lot of great rythm players, I'm talking about the guys who just sit and strum G, C, D all night, and wouldn't know a barre chord if it came up and bit them.

Again, I'm not talking about bands with horn sections and the such, I'm talking about bands with 3+ guitar players who don't add much to the band. Sorry if I sound B*tchy, cause I'm not really complaining, just another one of the trends I've noticed. What are your thoughts. Disagree/agree?