Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another one of those buzz-threads - but a wierd one... ?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by onoffknapp, Mar 12, 2006.

1. onoffknapp

onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    Right, so I don't know anything - bear with me, please...

Previously, my bass has been sounding supa-sweet, but recently I changed my strings and now there's this buzzing sound on the middle-three of my five strings.

The only thing I know about buzz, is that you can adjust the bridge to raise the strings, but I tried that to the maximum (as well as to the minimum, since I'm not sure what direction is what) and it still buzz equally much.

However, I've noticed another thing that seem to be correlated in some way... maybe...
    The top wire-coating on the strings have, on my previous strings, always ended a bit passed the ....stable? (the headstock-thingy, where the strings are fixed before they reach the nuts). You know, like the strings get one layer thinner at that point.
    But on my current strings, the B-string and G-string follow the previous pattern, but the other strings' top wire-coating ends right around the second fretbar - and these are the same strings that buzz!
    Coincidence? Causation?

Is it something you know anything about? Are my strings weird, or is that normal? Not very nice on the fingers when I slide, that's for sure...

Anyway, what else can I do than just raise the bridge? I've heard something about a truss rod, or something like that, but I have no idea what that is...

Thanks!

2. Let's see if we can figure this out.

stable? (the headstock-thingy, where the strings are fixed before they reach the nuts).
    That piece you were referring to is called the NUT.

Do you mean the the new strings begin to taper BEFORE they cross the nut? Out over the fret area? This would mean the the strings you bought are too short for your bass. Do you know the scale length of the bass, or what make/model it is??
    This could most definately be some of the source of the buzz.
    The strings would be loose in the nut, buzzing in there.

It could be a combination of other things too. You might need to adjust the truss rod in the neck. This is a normal adjustment that has to be done from time to time, and many times when you change string brands, gauges, etc..
    ESPECIALLY when changing to a different gauge of string.

Could you give us more info on the exact brand/gauge of strings you installed, and some info on the bass you installed them on??

Mag...

3. onoffknapp

onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanks for the input.

My previous strings where the standard that come with the bass, with black taping - the new strings are D'Addario XL Nickelwound Regular light gauge, with a 5-string of D'Addario or Ernie Ball - I don't remember - but it was a heavier gauge, anyway.
    My bass is a Warwick Corvette Proline.

Where can I find information of what this truss rod is and how I tune it?

4. Truss rod adjustment. That's the rod that is built into the neck of your bass and runs most of the length of it. It has an adjusting nut somewhere that you can tighten or loosen to adjust for the string tension's pull against the neck. Heavier strings would pull more tension, and make then neck bow forward more. Lighter strings would pull less tension, making the neck straighter or even pull a backbow. More on the truss in a moment..

However, I've noticed another thing that seem to be correlated in some way... maybe...
    The top wire-coating on the strings have, on my previous strings, always ended a bit passed the ....stable? (the headstock-thingy, where the strings are fixed before they reach the nuts). You know, like the strings get one layer thinner at that point.
    But on my current strings, the B-string and G-string follow the previous pattern, but the other strings' top wire-coating ends right around the second fretbar - and these are the same strings that buzz!

If what I'm reading above is interpreted correctly, you put strings on that do not full cross the NUT before they begin to taper. This means that the strings are too short for your bass. It does not matter if they reach the tuning pegs or not.

I would not recommend making ANY adjustments to your bass (bridge saddles, truss rod, etc..) before you get this corrected.
    Truss info: You should start at the Warwick site for specific information on your bass. You can also find alot of setup and truss-related information in the sticky posts at the top of this section, and in searches of this forum..

Can you post a picture of your bass and how the strings cross the nut??

Mag...

5. onoffknapp

onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    Ok, sounds good to know that it's the strings' fault, not the bass (hopefully)

I took one picture of the strings/nut: (I had to minimize the pic for it to get uploaded, hope you still can see)
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/onoffknapp/P3140004-liten.jpg

I pointed out where the strings get thinner, as well. I don't know if the nut-crossing is good enough for you, but I could always try and take a better picture if you want.

edit: Hahahahaha, I just looked at the packaging for my strings and on the cover it says, in big letters "Short Scale"! Damn... well, I guess that settles it, huh? I have no idea why the salesperson gave me short scales, though... that's weird... The B-string that he gave me is apparently of regular scale, so... makes no sense. I guess he wasn't paying attention =\
    I'll get out and buy some new strings eventually...

6. Yeah, absolutely this is your Main Problem. That thickest part of each string is supposed to be riding in those NUT slots. See how much wider the slots are than the thin tapered strings riding in them? Your strings are not long enough. Never have that part (or the silk wrapping part) of the string riding in the nut.

I know they make the Corvette in both 34 and 35" scales, so I'm not sure about yours. Either way, you need to make sure you put at least "long scale" strings on your bass. I know that the DR hi-beams that I'm using fit scale lengths up to 37 " or so, and they are perfect for my 35" scale ESP.

If possible, take your bass to the shop with you to make sure you get the right scale length strings.

Thanks for posting that pic..

Mag...

7. onoffknapp

onoffknapp

Jan 4, 2006
    Thanks a lot for the help! I would've broken my bass while trying to fix it, probably, if you hadn't helped me :)

8. You're very welcome. I'm happy that I could help. If you get ready to buy the new strings, try to get a set that closely matches the original "gauge" that was on the bass. This will help keep the playing action closer to what it originally was without having to make a bunch of adjustments.

Mag...