Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another one of THOSE posts. But with nuts.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thlayli, May 12, 2005.

1. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Hey everybody! I did a little intro the other day, but it doesn't count because it was in another thread.

This is another one of those "what bass should I buy?" posts, except I'm actually just looking for which models to, uh, look for.

But I'm picky. My current 4-string is nice, and fun to play, and sounds good with new strings, but it just doesn't have the tone. So I'm kinda scouring the market for a "new" 4. The thing is, I have playability factors to consider, and preferences... namely, I don't like my neck to be dinky at the nut. That immediately rules out Ibanez basses, and Jazz necks, at least.

I have other things to look out for, but, basically... what models would you guys recommend to someone looking for a good $500-$1000 4 with a nice, wide nut, besides a P-Bass?

2. What kind of tone are you lookin for man? What's your current bass? What amp do you have? We need more info.

P.S. Try and fill out your profile. Welcome to TB :)

3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    You should take a look at the Stingray SUBs.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Tobias Renegade
    G&L (any model, they all come with 1.75" nuts)
    Epiphone T-bird
    Fender Ps
    Music Man
    Kawai F2Bs
    Spector
    Cort Curbow
    Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub
    Yamaha (any model. Wide necks)
    US Masters
    BC Rich (if you're into that sort of thing)

those are all 1.625" at the nut or better. There's a few others, but I can't recall of the top of my head.

The G&L, Epi, and Fender P (C neck) are the only ones I know that are 1.75" at the nut.

5. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Check out the Carvins; they're 1.62 at the nut

www.carvin.com

regards,

Mike

6. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Heh... thanks, already a lot of help from you guys.

Right now, my 4's a '97 or '98 (not totally sure which, those years are blurry) Fender Urge, the cheap model. Cheap enough that I put EMG's in it 'cause the pickups were way too microphonic. But, even with those and new strings, it sounds kinda dead. Playing it through either a G-K 400RB through, um, Carvin monitor wedges or a '73 MusicMan 4x12, or the little Ampeg BA112 practice amp.

Tone's flexible at this point, but I've got a bunch of starting points now. I've actually played a Yamaha and loved it, but I'll be looking for nicer woods if I can.

Like I said, a lot of help here already, I just gotta hit the stores and start playing. Thanks!

7. +1

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Fixed it for 'ya. Also, Bongos are great basses.

Both can be had used (and even new, occasionally) well within your price range.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The guy said he didn't like jazz necks. While Carvins have the nice string spacing, the necks are even slimmer than jazz necks.

10. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    The good news is that I don't actively dislike Jazz necks. :D

I'll figure something out. It's not like I don't have anything to play in the meantime. Again, thanks, y'all!