1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another one of "those" threads

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigkill, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! Another one of those bass recommendation threads! Ah, you know you love 'em. ;) Anyway, here's the deal. I was saving money for college, but my fiance recently put in for financial aid for me, and I somehow got approval. I wonder how much she embellished? Oh well, what that does, is leave me with about $500-$700 just sitting around in the bank, begging to be spent on a bass. :D I did already have a MIM Fender Jazz Deluxe Series V in lay-away, but I stepped back and realized that was a complete impulse deal. Besides that, he left the bass out on the shelf and seeing the reserve tag seems to have encouraged a******s to pick her up and have their way with her. I went in last week with a friend for something, and discovered she had some horrid buckle rash and a few dings from smacking other basses on the way back to the wall mount. Besides, I have no business with another five. The only four I have is my Ibanez EDB 400, and I just want to treat myself with something a little higher up on the bass food chain. So, now that you have some background info, here's a little bit of what I'm looking for.

As for tone, this is still going to be a learning and practice bass for now, as I said, I just want to treat myself. Because it is a learning bass though, and several styles are being covered, I figure a well rounded, all purpose tone would be most beneficial to my situation. That being said, could I get that sort of tone continuing to use basses with jazz or soapbar style pickups? I ask that because, while I've never played one, I've checked out a few clips of P-basses, and while I appreciate what a huge role it played in the history of bass, I'm just not crazy about it's sound. I am in love with the growl of the jazz though. Is the growl largely in the pickup style? Whether it's Fenders, Sadowskys, or Warwicks that I listen to, they all seem to feature the jazz style pickup, so I am just attempting an educated guess here.

As for playability, I've just really started to realize how important this factor is, because I just really started to feel/notice it. It actually almost exceeds tone for me, being I don't have an ear for true tone appreciation yet (only know what I like), and I don't need a bass to perform with right now. It really is the most pertaninent factor behind deciding to get this bass. To give you an idea of what I'm looking for here, I took a few measurements of my current basses and came up with what I like and don't like on each. Starting with the necks, the neck on my Ibanez drives me nuts, it's non-stop hand cramps after ten minutes of playing. It is approximately 1 & 1/2" at the nut, 2 & 5/16" at the neck heel fret (17). My Peavey, meanwhile, is much more comfortable, at 1 & 3/4" at the nut, 2 & 9/16" at the neck heel fret (16th). I want a neck this thick, or maybe even a little thicker. On the other hand, string spacing on my Ibanez is much more comfortable than on my Peavey, because the Peavey is a five. String spacing at the bridge of the Ibanez is about 5/8". I'm pretty comfortable with something right around there.

Some final few notes; I will be able to get to Memphis this time around, so I will be able to at least sample a broader selection, hopefully most of the suggested basses you throw my way. I'm not opposed to buying used again, as I now have someone I can get to check out local used instruments for me now, and I have the knowledge I've learned from here and Bass for Dummies. Also, with your further assistance, I wouldn't be opposed to lookin' to "the bay" for this purchase, either. I know this amount of cash is still fairly trivial, so my best bet is likely a used bass, again. Well, I hope I was fairly thorough in describing my needs/wants in a bass. I know I was as long-winded as I typically am, but it may have all been bs. :smug:
    :bassist:

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Since you like those Jazz styles so much, try to find a KSD Jazz bass, hell even a Fender would be cool. Try out one of those Deluxe flame maple ones with the gold hardware. Also, you could look around for a Warwick Corvette, or even a proline.. I've played a few and loved them. Plus, 24 frets is nice.