Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another one of those "Wich PUP do I choose?"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 15, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

I'm looking for a pickup that can get a nice bright sound, where every note is distinktive and such. I tend to get doin tap solos and I get going really fast and starts sounding like mush with my bass most of the time. So what pickups/settings for active pickups, should I try to get a nice bright sound so that its not such mud.

~JB~ thanks

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    So your saying EMG is the way to go? I was thinking about those billy sheehan dimarzio sigs...any thoughts?

4. Aero Type 1s are spanky bright!

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    bass_drum, it would help if we knew what sort of bass you are playing
    and what pickups/preamp/woods are on it

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well I'm jsut looking for pickups right now and I'm thinking of altering a Nobby Meidel bass, but not Certain. So I'll tell you abotu it then. Made from rose wood (body , neck and fretboard) i think. It'd be straight up vol and tone. I tend to stick with jazz and rock. I need pickups thatd be able to cover jazz/rock/tap solo's. Thats why I thought that those Signature Dimarzios would be good ( Ive heard billy sheehan and his tapping just sounds so nice lol) so there you have it.

As far as pre amps go, isnt a pre amp sumthing extra that unless you want active eq or stuff liek that you dont need? THats what I thought...then again I am a total newb when it comes to wiring and such :D

thanks guys,
    ~JB~

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Dimarzios are perfectly good pickups, but from what you say I get the feeling that EMG's might be more what you're looking for.
    But this is shooting in the dark a bit: you don't say what type (shape) of pickups you have in there right now (J?/P?/Soapbar?) so that does affect the recommendations too

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well, I have one bass wich I love the jazzy feel and such and don't wanna touch. But I'll probably be getting another one of the same model to mod. The pickups in it are P and J. Btw I won't be needing this one for jazz, as i already have one for that, this thing will need to rock! :D

So any pickups you guys think are good for rock, have a nice cutting sound, and would be good for fast playing (e.g. tap solos not turning into mud)?

Thanks

EDIT: Basically I'm looking for nice clarity and definition, while keeping the nice lows and mids.

Why do you guys suggest EMG? do they just have that sound? Which pickups should I be looking for by them?

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Anybody?

Just want ideas on best pickup for clarity and such.

11. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    For me, so far, and EMG 40DC at the neck and a 40CS at the bridge is cool. I'm going 40J/40TW on my fretless if I can ever get the TW in...I'd go to the site, and check the characteristics of the pickups to see if anything matches what you're looking for, and also to make sure that the pickups will fit in the slots as well, that's something else to consider...but that's how I ended up deciding on the 40DC/40CS combo, and I wasn't disappointed!

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, since you have P and J pickups I'd probably suggest the EMG P/J set :)

But again, people mean different things when they say clarity. Person A might mean an open frequency response range. Person B might mean bright sounding. Person C might mean open frequency response plus slight high end emphasis.

See what I mean?

But EMG active pickups are ones I've found to sound most consistent from one bass to another. They definitely have a full range clarity, with a slight low end and high end eq preshape being applied by the pickup.

I had EMG P/J pickups in a hot rodded precision, had a great slap and pick sound. If you want to hear it in action, you can hear it my band (Mimi Ferocious) covering 'I feel love'. You can download it from itunes. The chorus is done on that bass.
    The same bass can be heard being played with a pick on the track Tupperwhere Sky, also on itunes or on our website - http://www.mimiferocious.com

hope that helps

13. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sweet! thanks man

14. Isn't that all describing the same sound ;)

+1 on EMG's active PJ set, I never play anything else and can't fault them - they cut through anything.

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    It might do, it might not :)
    That's the problem we have trying to describe sound with words :)

16. Just a bit of humour, you know... ;) ;) ;)

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    *Flash Back To Jazz Band Class*

Teacher: Good Justin, but at the end we need a "kuk-a-thunk"
    Me (on drums): Uhh...whats a Kuk-a-thunk?
    Teacher: You know its like a Boom-Boom-Chuk
    Me: You mean like this? *hits snare drum 3 times*
    Teacher: Exactaly!!!
    Me:Ok... :eyebrow:

Lol all the great things that happen in badn class eh?

:D ~JB~ :D