Another P-Bass Forum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ninthwondernj, Jun 14, 2005.

1. I have had a simple Squire P-Bass for a year, it stays in tune..and works fine, no complaints. But I have the urge to get a Fender this a smart move? WIll it benefit me more than the Squire P?
  2. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    You bet!!!! If you have the money, don´t even think about it, just buy it!!!
  3. :cool: Maybe, maybe not. Only you can make that determination. I've played a few inexpensive basses that simply played, sounded, and felt better than any of the more expensive models, including botique. I all depends on the bass. Try out as many as you can. Then make the decision what you really like. Keep the Squier as a backup. The less expensive basses don't have the psychological
    "whack" that the more expensive ones do. But sometimes, it's a great psychological boost to know that you've got a "wonderful" bass that you paid peanuts for. Good luck.
  4. if you have the money, go for it
  5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    If it's not going to bust the bank, go for it. Try as many different MIA models as you can get your hands on. The QC on them is hit and miss -IMO. Once you find a good one, you'll be set.

Best of luck,
    - Art
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I think Sammy's hitting it on the head... My cheesy little Danelectro Longhorn may not be the snazziest bass on the block, but right now it is speaking to me loud and clear!! Not saying that it will 'out-boutique' any basses out there, just that it's cheap little vibe is a joy, and the sound can't be argued with!

That being said, I too have experienced the lust for a nice P bass, and nothing else would satisfy!! I really and truly love each and every bass that I have, but at the end of the day, I'll take my '96 P Bass with me on the 'desert island' :D

Do play as many as you can... Yes, they vary in quality, but I've not seen a true 'lemon', (one that had fatal flaws rather than mere setup issues), in quite awhile. It really helps to know what can and cannot be accomplished with a good setup... Action, intonation, even electronics can all be set right fairly easily... A twisted neck cannot!

If you are shopping in a store and truly looking to buy, there is nothing wrong with asking for some adjustments to be made, as long as you don't abuse it. Just let them know that you are planning to buy a bass and would like to decide among the fine instruments in their shop... This may or may not work at GC or Sam Ash, (I've heard the horror stories, but my local GC is pretty decent), but mid-sized stores will usually accomodate... Since you are lookng at Fender's, it may be worth becoming familiar with the recent series of serial numbers... By recognizing a bass that's been hanging on the wall for a few years, you may be able to swing a sweet deal!

Good luck, and don't forget to post pics!!!