Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another P-Bass Nut install question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by duckbutter, Sep 22, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I have a P-Bass (fretless) that I'm about to change the nut on. I've remove the old nut and I'm in the process of getting the rest of the glue out of the slot. Now, my question is...what's the best way to get the nut all snug. It's feels very fragile, and I don’t what to break it. When I put it in, there seems to be a very small space between the bottom of the nut and the slot. Should I put glue in the slot, put the nut in and string it up?
    All help will be welcomed. :)

BTW..it's a Genuine Fender 1-5/8" pre-slotted nut for P Bass, if that helps.

2. If you are seeing that small space at the ends of the nut, that means that the nut is probably contacting the bottom of the slot in the middle. This will cause the nut to rock side to side in the slot while glueing and you won't be able to get a good consistent string height. You'll have to take a little material away from the CENTER of the bottom of the nut so that when you put it in the slot, you don't see any gap between it and the wood. A couple of drops of white glue or even super glue is all that's needed to keep it in place. You still want to be able to remove it later.

3. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    I'll have to double check, but I believe the nut it contoured.

BTW Hambone, I've read many of your "suggestions" in other posts and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with those of us beginners that want to learn.
    I know I sound like a suck up, but thanks.