1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another part of my childhood is being torn down.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blazer, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    Okay, I live in the southren province of Limburg the Netherlands quite close to the city of Heerlen where I went to grade school, elementary and high school. In my childhood my mom always went shopping in a Mall called " 'T Loon" (which means "The deserving")
    loon1-545x331.
    "t Loon as how it appeared not too long ago
    t-loon.
    And back in the sixties when it was opened.

Most of what I owned from Transformers and such was bought there and when I was a teenager, me and my buddies would always go to 'T Loon to buy the newest Spiderman comics (And while we were there, we'd also checked out the X-rated mags they had.)
    t-loon-2010.
    The interior of " 'T Loon" three stories of whatever you'd think you would be able to buy including a parking.

But after 40-odd years of having provided the City of Heerlen with a shopping mall which brought in plenty of money and employment, something went VERY wrong.
    zo19.242508.d976a007-43527015.GrondondertLoonverderverzakt.
    This is a shot taken from inside the parking, the floor has sunk in taking the pilars on which the whole structure stands down with it, the whole thing was very close to collapsing completely. The danger being so great that there wasn't even time to get the inventory of the shops out of there.

So the city council decided to evacuate everybody completely and to have the Mall demolished.
    [​IMG]

I was there today, I saw them busy breaking the whole thing up. It's sad, not just for the fact that I still was a regular customer but also because of the memories.
    [​IMG]

2. At least nobody was hurt!

On a side note - C&A, didn't realise they still existed! Not seen that sign in almost 20 years!

3. Internet Police

Internet Police

Sep 4, 2011
    That's what happens when you build on a swamp/sinkhole. The Netherlands is a great place though. Zeist is a cool town.

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My son goes to the same elementary school as I did. They just announced that they're going to close it down. Sad. I can relate to the OP