1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Peavey Question: Which single pup to choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Din Of Win, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Hey again!

So, I've gotten some amazing information regarding my previous inquirey regarding T20's and Furys.

However, i had an E-Mail convo with a guy about Peavey basses in general (Totally wouldn't be suprized if he belongs to TB) and now it seems i have other options.

While i KNOW i am looking for a single pup bass... along with the T20 and Fury, the guy also reccomended both the Patriot and the T45 (seriously i thought a T45 was a 5 string T40 :scowl:). Especially the Patriot though!

So, between the following:

-T20
    -Fury (Ferrite)
    -Fury (Split P)
    -Patriot
    -T45

...Which would you all rate as 'the best', and possibly qualify your definition of 'best'. Are there any other Peavey basses you like more?

Thanks so much!!

2. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    If you're looking for a single pickup Peavey, then the G-bass is the way to go. Awesome instrument that can be had for around $300.

I haven't played one, but the Forum (which looks like a single p/u Axcelerator) also gets rave reviews.

3. Word. I'll have to check it out... I'm not too into the G bass, aesthetically... reminds me of the Aria that Cliff Burton played (proII i think)... I'll need to check out more of the Forum.

4. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    I have Fury with the split P. Liked it so much I added a Foundation with Super Ferrite pickups. Never played the slanted pickup P.

Really having a great time with both. They are cheap, buy two!

What the hey, posted this elsewhere, but I like the Foundation 'burst so much I'll post it again. The stripped bass is the Fury. Still working on it.
    DSCF9540.

5. That Foundation is AWESOME! Unfortunatly, i'm not looking for a 2 pickup bass at the moment.

Any thoughts on what you will do with the Fury?

6. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    The Foundation has a few nicks and dings in it, but it is a sweetheart to play. Keeping it as is.

The Fury staying in the herd. At the end of the semester right now and too busy to work on it. Trying to decide what color/finish I want on it.

Really wanted a P-bass after giving a cheap P-bass copy to a kid wanting to learn and did a lot of reading about the Fury.

Found this one in a pawnshop for $100. Talked them down to $75 due to the condition (knowing I wanted to refinish one anyway) and took it home. Liked it so much went pawnshopping for the Foundation.

Guy at a new vintage shop a few minutes from the house has a T-20 in his showroom -or at least did- but he knows what he has. Asking $280 for it. Natural finish. I can get his number if you want it.

7. I really appreciate this :D

But I'm still weighing my options. I'm really intrigued with the positive comments on the Patriot i had from my prior conversation...

$280 + shipping is a little more than i think i could end up getting something for. I'm also a huge fan of pawn shops (unfortunatly, the closest one is owned by a guy that KNOWS his music gear and charges accordingly).

8. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    most of them do anymore. Got the Foundation at a steal because it had been dropped and a tuner had snapped off.

A very kind TB Peavey fan gave me an exact replacement from his parts bin.

9. I've heard bad things about the Patriots. T20. The Fury with a P is really a P-bass. The Fury with the Ferrite is very close to the T20.

10. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    T-45 is very nice. Heavy, but very nice. A wide neck like a p-bass but a little thinner front to back. I like that it is passive. An excellent bass for $250.

If I didn't have my p-bass (and T-45 as backup) I would still be looking for an old t-20, but I have not played one of those...

11. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
  12. Maryland responses!!(I'm in Frederick):

@Hollywars: What have ya heard exactly about the Patriot that's bad? And the later split P Fury's i've been told are not just P basses... but REALLY good P basses...

@ericw: Yeah... I'm really interested in a t45. My only (lame) gripe is that i like basses with pickguards... i know it's weird... but still... And yeah, A T20/early Fury are still my top contenders.

*cough* hit me up if either of you find anything *cough*

13. ericw

ericw

Aug 19, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    If you want to get your hands on a T-45 before you make a decision send me a PM. I'm not really looking to sell but you could come and see what they're like if you want.

14. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Howdy Din Of Win

It was great emailing with you.

Please be very specific for "best".. without a definition (what you do.. what you like etc).. you'll end up with average TB replies "dude save up for a Pbass"

Out of all of them.. blindly right now an import Milestone or USA Fury is the bargain..

That being said.. I've owned at least 10 of everything they made in the USA.

(from our email)

T-40s are kind of clunky.. I find T-45s to be a "prettier" ans more simple version --- this is kind of the mojo of a passive bass... they also cost a fwe less bucks.

Then it's a T20..

Out of all of the single pickups??? GBass.. Fury USA.. T45.. .. unfortunately the single pickup limits us to what to look at

Current single pickup bargain USA Patriot... plan on having to really set it up.

15. MNAirHead

Another thing to look into (in the current market) is gulping and considering a USA foundation fretless..

They will not get cheaper and will equal a Fender Fretless.

----

Anyone feel free to PM me if I can help ID/value/correct the USA stuff --- I've hoarded too much info to not share.

16. HEY! The emailing was awesome!! Again, i really appreciate it!

Haha, it has definitely gotten the wheels turning now.

Stoaked i have awesome human resources to help with this process!

Yeah, i knew i was going to have problems with the term 'best' even as i was writing it. Haha, i had hoped to make it clearer by asking to qualify answers... but still...

The hard part about basses like these is that it's pretty difficult to go and test them… which is why I’m an avid Pawn Shop/Used Gear Shop shopper, and TalkBass inquisitioner.

Again, thanks for helping to narrow my search!!

17. Haha yeah I'm repping BTOWN.

I've just heard that a lot of people are not satisfied with the sound of the single Super Ferrites. A lot of people love the dual ones, as do I.

18. MNAirHead

With Peavey USA stuff.. I NEVER worry about trying long distance.. they invented exact duplication.. VERY can not be repaired or tuned up..

I'd never blindly suggest other brands as the quality control wasn't as consistent.. Botiques are normally built to order so must be played.

You're welcome --- anything to help.

Tim

19. MNAirHead

The reality on many folks playing dual ferrites is the bridge is rolled back (in a good band mix)

I recently traded a bag-o-parts Patriot to Kevin (TBer).. it's one of the few basses in his stable (botiques etc) that's not available for trade or sell.. he claims he can dial in a Geddy or Squire tone when setup.

====

REspectfully.. a Pbass has one pickup...

Opinion -- passives work well with one.. it's when adding a preamp that the nuances become more pronounced.

The mojo of a passive bass is simplicity.

Timmy