another pedal that may or may not exist

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Jun 21, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    k let me preface this by saying im a huge rage fan so this is my main drive to get this pedal. Anyone who also is realizes morello does some pretty interesting things to his guitar to get those freaky effects. One effect im very fond of is when he turns one pickup all the way on and one off, and flips between the 2 making the sound cut on and off very quickly. This seems like a very easy pedal to make so my hands are free, and i dont have a switch like this on my bass. I guess i could install a switch, but it still seems like an easy pedal to make. Anyone seen anything like this?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you mean like a tremelo pedal?

Apart from that, anything that would switch between two pickup signals would have to be done onboard the bass unless you routed two outputs from your bass.
  3. a tremelo pedal set to extremes would work, or you could just use a toggle switch like morello. tremelo pedals are pretty easy to make i heard.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    well kinda like a tremlo pedal but not quite. I dont want it to switch between the 2 pickups, just turn the signal to my amp on and off. By switching between his pickups he is switching the sound on and off, which is what i really want to do. Ive got simliar results with a tremlo and feedback at the same time, but not quite it. Its just really hard to put a switch on my bass in a place so that its easy to switch really really fast. I can do it on my SG but i wasnt sure if they made a pedal like this. It seems like itd be pretty simple to do.
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    If you can wang your foot back and forth really fast like Morello does with his hand on his switch, look into a pedal called, no kidding, the Cough Drop. It's made for singers or speakers, so they can kill the mike signal with a momentary switch if they have to cough, sneeze, what have you. Dont remember who makes it, though.
  6. LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    You can get a quick on/off sound at regular intervals with a tremolo that can do a square wave (like the Boss one)...if you want irregular, there are a few people that make (made? or maybe it was just schematics floating around?) momentary off switches, sometimes called "stutter boxes." They'd be pretty simple to make if you wanted one.
  7. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes, I haven't tried one but this is where I would start if I wanted that effect.
  8. If you want to stomp a button and cut the sound out, you'd only need a normally closed push-button switch, two jacks, some kind of box, and a little wire. I don't see how you can get much simpler. I wonder if you would get noise from the switch opening and closing. Probably not, with a decent switch.
  9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    ProCo The same manufacturer of out beloved Rats...

They actualy make 6 modles now.. My fave "Aproch the bench"..

I am the man...

10. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Actually it would work better with a normally open switch that would ground the output when pressed.

Edit: with an active instrument you may want to place a resistor after the input jack just in case the pre-amp doesn't like driving a short. Something around 10K would work.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Use a pan effect in mono.
  12. murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    Just take an overdrive pedal and set master output to zero.
  13. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe Lemur821 and I were referring to non-latching 'push-button' switches.
  14. I believe we were as well. Tim, why would that work better? Less crackling from the switch?
  15. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    You know how when you have a cable plugged into an amp but not into anything else the amp will buzz? Well it might do that to a certain (lesser) extent with a normally closed switch, but it won't using a normally open switch.
  16. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    It would be very easy for anyone who does mods and customisation to fit a "cut" button onto your bass. Basically a button that cuts out the signal. Similar to if you have a flick switch between pickups and have the volume on one pickup turned down. You just tap the button and it cut's the signal for as long as you hold it down. Pretty much the same way as a dj would can use a cross fader to scratch.
    Jonny from Radiohead has them on all of his guitars.
  17. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    You are right dirtgroove, I did this mod for a guy a couple of years ago. The first try was using a normally closed momentary push switch in the guitar output signal path to open the signal path, but as Tim__x said, it buzzed like you had a cable plugged into your amp with no guitar. So then I wired a normally open switch between signal and shield which shorted the output to ground when pressed and it worked really well! Most preamps have no problem with a shorted input but if you're really paranoid, stick a 100 ohm resistor in series with the switch.
  18. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i'm pretty sure you can do this quick cutting of the sound with the pedals from when you ask for the stutter switch.

if you read the description, you can leave the loop empty, and so you can cut the sound while your foot is depressing the switch, and whenever you let go the sound comes back
  19. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i see what you guys are saying and maybe some of you guys who make pedals could PM me if your interested in building something like this for me. I, up until now, have been very anti pedals. I started playing alot more solo bass and decided on like 4 pedals to get, and this was one of them if its possible. Everything you guys are saying is right but i want the box to do the switching for me more or less. Like a dial that increased the speed of the on and off motion. I want the pedal to be able to give me the option of hitting it with my foot for more expressive stuff, or just turning it on to the right speed. See what im saying?