Another Performance of Them Changes by Thundercat

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Dude is nothing if not unique!

Bob_Ross, GregC, JJR58 and 3 others like this.
  2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    Thanks! I hadn't heard this cat. I enjoyed it very much. Very hip. Great voice.

Mr_O'B and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I find it freshing when a bassist develops a
    unique style!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Shaker Heights, OH
    thundercat is the evolution of jazz fusion. he is the modern interpretation of the genre. truly evolving that genre and taking it to another place. great player and writer.

knumbskull, Dr. Cheese and Mr_O'B like this.
  5. Steve9842008

Steve9842008

Jul 20, 2008
    Quickly became one of my favorite musicians after discovering him a few years back. Just saw him again last week in SF. Mindblowing every time I've seen him.

Justin Brown is also a phenomenal drummer.

Dr. Cheese and knumbskull like this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Just discovered this guy, i'm surprised he doesn't get more airtime in these parts. Monster player, great writer and producer.

His latest album Drunk really puts the bass front and centre (and is great).

Dr. Cheese and Clark Dark like this.
  7. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    Ok, this cat is great to say the least, I can barely play a 4 stringer, we'll, i can a little.

But another fine example of someone who's got the groove down.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Another version of the song. This one with a guest soloist.

Clark Dark likes this.
  9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Talented Cat for sure.

10. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I saw this guy sometime in Fall 2015, I think. (He's still one of my favorites to play around the house; especially "Walkin" to get myself going in the morning.)
    I like his playing, but even more I like his voice and writing. And even more, I wanted to see Justin Brown tear it up on this tiny stage I happened to play earlier that year.
    Unfortunately, by they time they made it to the middle of Texas, he had different folks on keys and drums. They were okay. But I'm guessing they were pretty fresh on the tour and didn't seem as locked-in as Justin and the tow-headed guy in these videos. The board mix was a bit too rock-and-roll for what was going on. The kick and toms were so boomy it felt more like a Melvins show (plus, the drummer was more heavy-handed than quick).

And we (the crowd) were pretty weird. It was the tallest show I ever attended. I'm 6' tall, and something like 60-70% of the room was people my height or taller--never seen anything like that. And everyone, jammed into this tiny (sold out) room, just stood and stared. I'm pretty sure it made him uncomfortable. A song would finish, 5 seconds of clapping, then silence. At one point, with his eyebrows raised and eyes darting side-to-side, he said, "Uh, o-kaaaaay..."
    Crowd energy will definitely affect the outcome of a show. So I think besides the bad sound, the slightly underwhelming performance was our fault.

One of my favorite videos of this guy is the live ocean-side performance of "We'll Die". It's tacked-on to the end of the "Evangelion" video. Check it out.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Talented cat!

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Something other than Them Changes!

McFarlin likes this.
  13. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm sure everyone has seen this, but it's still my favorite of the live videos for all its drum-centric-ness (there's also a good "Them Changes" performance from this set):

Here's that "We'll Die" take: