Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another performance rave for Euphonic Audio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steveksux, Aug 9, 2005.

1. We played a fairly large bar this weekend, everyone was running through the PA. Oops. Except me, not enough inputs available, someone didn't get a big enough board... DUH!!!

Normally I run a pair of VL-210 EA's (2x 10's, 2 mids, 1 tweeter per cab) as my stack. Now with guitars going through the board, they can be a lot quieter on stage. But I'd have to be really rip roaring loud to compete with the PA, so they'll have to turn stage volume up to hear themselves, resulting in way too much guitar when you add in their pa support which I'm lacking.

What to do?

I put one EA cab on the floor between the bass bins. Used one EA cab as my stage monitor. Nobody noticed there was no bass through the PA. Wow. I wouldn't want to try that too often, but amazingly enough it worked in a pinch. And no worries of a retarded sound guy messing with my FOH sound.

I was running with a 2000 W QSC power amp instead of my normal 1500W crown (only cause the crown worked in stereo so it worked in the PA, while the QSC has a bad input, but worked in bridge mode for the bass. Not because of the extra 500 W, that's trivial). I run a subsonic filter to reduce finger/thumb string handling noise, and bumped up the compression ratio and threshold from what I normally use, shooting for "speaker protection" rather than "max dynamic range".

Randy

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool steve!

a little ingenuity never hurt no one. :cool:

i too used my iAMP-800 this weekend, and had plenty of power for a vocals only PA.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice solution! Those VL-210's will get amazingly loud, and never break up!

Party on, Tom.