1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another pick thread...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Muddslide, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    So back throughout the 80s and 90s I played with my fingers at least 75% of the time. Maybe more like 90% for some periods of time.

After years of slacking, I am working hard to build my chops back up. I'm older now and for various reasons I now use a pick more often. More like 50/50 pick/fingers.

I have a LOT of different types of picks and have noticed that my basses can sound markedly different depending on the kind of pick I use. Thickness, composition, etc.

This isn't surprising by itself, but I've been a bit surprised at just how much different picks seem to influence sound.

I like to play with different picks but I've come to feel that THE best pick for me is the classic old silver Herco 75.

I wish these Hercos came in more thicknesses. I'd love to try a thicker one.

As it is I've only found 50mm and 75mm.

2. Have you tried a Dunlop Nylon standard? They come in 1mm. Would think it should come close to the Herco since they're both Nylon.

NealBass and scourgeofgod like this.
  3. Wrong forum

Dash Lashes likes this.
  4. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Those were my go to picks for the longest time. I still have a box of them somewhere around here. I now use Dunlop or Traynor Jazz picks that are small bodied and 1.1mm in thickness. I get more control with them and find I can tuck them into my hand easily when switching to fingers.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Under "Technique" then?

6. Lately I've been making my own picks out of walnut + mahogany laminate, or walnut + maple.
    Play with Dunlop Ultex .73mm most of the time, but when I want a rounder sound closer to fingerstyle the wood picks are a really nice option.

Back in the '80s when I was a shredding metal gui**** I used picks made of stone, metal, and thick plastic taken from the bottom of bar ashtrays.
    All had different feels and tones.

7. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    Those are the only gauges I've seen them in.
    I used to use them on guitar, until I went to something thicker.

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I do have some much thicker picks in various sizes and sometimes prefer something 1mm or thicker. I like to change things up. But I dig those Hercos.

9. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

You have the best avatar ever-tar.

10. I've found when a pick, it's for tone reasons but the ones I like best are the Dunlop bright green .80 mm. Not too hard, not too light. Just perfect. That's right, I'm the baby bear!

11. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I'm an old guy who virtually never used a pick for decades unless my plucking fingers were injured. But now I'm starting to get arthritis. When it acts up, I'll play with a pick until my fingers feel better. Anyway, I've been using these Dava's lately. Nice rubber grip to keep a good hold on, but the rubber ends with plenty of plastic pick to make contact with the strings. Lousy pic, but you get the idea.
    IMG_1253_zpsdff5buar.

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    I make picks out of old credit cards and gift cards.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Pick?

Attached Files:

Jeff K likes this.