Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another picking a new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lord Fender, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Lord Fender

Lord Fender

Jun 2, 2005
    Right now I am tired of playing new basses, my hands can only take so much tough love of tearing apart basses at the local shop.

I need to make up my mind although I am stuck at a wall, I have a few choices although I can't decide which one is right so please with your wisdom tell which of these is in your opinion is the best, and why.

Red Fender American Jazz.
    Black fender active Jazz deluxe and new B neck.
    Natural/Aged Fender American P bass deluxe Special.
    Regular coloured Warwick Corvette.
    Orange Music Man Bongo HH.
    White Stingray w/black pickguard.
    White stingray Fretless unmarked w/black pickguard.
    Weird Sunburst Rickenbacker 4003

I play mostly jazz/alternative/rock/hardcore/Jango Bop. Idols are like Rush, Interpol, REM, Ozzy, Millencolin, American Minors, Led Zeppilin, weezer.......the list goes on although with all this **** I think their is little more to add.

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Based on your profile, I need to ask what it is that you are missing with your current gear selection? I recently settled on a '75 Jazz ReIssue to get that sound (something that I wasn't able to otherwise get).

I know that you're not new to this, but just thought that I'd help by getting you to maybe look at it from a different direction. That's quite the arsenal that you've got listed by the way! :bassist:

3. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    All of those are very different which kinda cofuses me...

for example........you say you want a stingray which is around $1200 but then you say you want a Fender ACTIVE Jazz bass.. why would you go from a $1200 bass to a $550 bass.

....also you go from active to passive basses...I think you should narrow it down a bit more.

but anyway if you want a active bass I would either go for a Stingray or a MIA fender deluxe Jazz

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd say the Deluxe P-bass. I recently got one off of ebay, but it's in the middle of being shipped right now. It's good for rock and stuff, and still works for jazz with its double j-pup near the bridge.

5. Lord Fender

Lord Fender

Jun 2, 2005
    Well to start, Most of my basses are V string. Which I like although after I got my P bass I really went four string happy now. I just sold my V active Jazz bass, thats the reason I like the cheap 550 bass because more of just my liking of how it lasted me. And playing the four gave me the best of both worlds. I like the Bongo HH although I have a bongo 5. Which again, I'm already used to it and when I put the four in my hands it felt differnet yet familiar. Then I tried similar basses cause I have to admit I love the jazz pickups. BUt when I try the american deluxe active ones, it doesn't fell in that sweet spot. Anyways I like active because I can fine tune without going to the amp. It also lets me get that perfect tone. But The warmth of a passive is always welcomed. I just have a strange sense of needs in a way. They both sound good its more between warmth of sound and my apathetic ways.

6. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'd say go with the Ric or the active Jazz.

7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I'd say the Red AM Jazz or the P Bass Special. If you decide not to get the P Bass Special, let us know where it is so we can get a look at it. ;)