Another portrait of tracy thread.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by meltsakana, Dec 9, 2002.

1. meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    I absolutely cannot hit that D# harmonic. Never in context and in time, and when I just try to do it out of context it usually thuds. Help me!
  2. There are many things that you could be doing wrong. First adjust your bass and your amp so that your harmonics sound more crisp; I keep my lows up, mids down and highs half way
    (play with it). If you have a compresser all your harmonics will sound better and have more sustain. The next issue is how you play it. For the D# harmonic I never hit it right on the 6th fret but more around say 5.8 (while of course fretting the B). If you have all that working for you, then just try different plucking techniques until it sounds right to you. Another thing to let you know is that some bass's dont play harmonics as nice sounding or as easy to play as others.
  3. This is one of my solo pieces for Grade 8 bass.

The D# harmonic is supposed to be played by fretting the 2nd fret on the A string (B) and then hammering on with your pinky on the 6th fret, you probably know that.

Now Jaco had BIG hands so he could do it, however i have small hands and so i fret the B and then tap the harmonic with the index finger of my right hand.
    You may worry about speed but the next note is an open E followed by a double stop of harmonics, play the open E with your thumb as you move down to play the Harmonics at the Bridge. it takes a slight bit of practise but you should be ok.

Hope that helps

(Tapping harmonics can be tricky, tap the fret bar on the 6th fret and then move you finger away real quick, you will have to try it a few times.)
  4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Tapping harmonics can be a little 'iffy' if you have trouble eliminating the click associated with a tapped note like me . :) You may want to try and find the harmonic in another spot. I haven't managed to spend a lot of time on the song yet but I do recall playing that particular note as an artificial harmonic although the particular place to do this will differ slightly depending on your bass.
  5. meltsakana

Sep 3, 2002
    thanks guys! Anyone else?
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    If you hold down B
    then place your thumb about two inches off the fretboard(above the first J-pickup is you have one, or the P-pickup is its P/J)

then pluck with your finger behind your thumb

does that make sense? its the same technique that jaco uses in Birdland

I have very big hands and I've never had any trouble hitting that D# but Its always good too know multiple ways of doing things...with any given harmonic there are usually 2 or three alternate ways to do it.
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I just figured another way out.
    Fret Ab on the E string then lightly put your finger Right infront of hte 7th fret(b)
    its kind of tricky but if you learn where to put your finger it will sound as D#...its a smaller stretch than the Jaco one and it works.

however its not as solid a D# as some other ways of doing it, its easier to hit than some but there are some micro tones in there that distort the pure D# sound....but if you can't get any other one, its anotehr alternative :D