Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another post about my Ampeg SVP-CL....I'm comparing to my Hartke 3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philthy, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I've been getting used to and familiar with my Ampeg SVP-CL and Crown XLS602 power amp combo. Let me say, that I love the sound of my Ampeg. It's definitely KILLER!!! Anyway, I've just been comparing, side by side, my new Ampeg/Crown rig vs. my old Hartke 3500 head that I use for band practice and, is it me, or does that Hartke 3500 seem SO much louder?

I'm using the Ampeg SVP-CL => Crown XLS602 => Avatar 2x10 Pro & SWR S.O.B. 1x15. I'm running them stereo at 8 ohms (370 watts per channel). I've got the power amp turned up about 85% with the preamp gain at around 2 o'clock and the master volume at around 12 o'clock. Yes, I get some great volume but then I plug the same two cabs into my Hartke 3500 head and turn the tube preamp knob up to about #3 and the master up to #5 and it just seems SO much more powerful. (All EQ setting on the Hartke and Ampeg are flat).

Anyone ever notice the same thing? Shouldn't my Ampeg be so much more powerful with 2 channels at 370 watts vs. the Hartke at 350 watts?

I'm just curious as to why this might be.

Thanks!!!

I was told by Ampeg that my preamp did not need the output modification that most early SVP-CL's do. So, is there some sort of signal booster or something that can be put in between the preamp and power amp to give me a higher signal? Just a thought.