Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another post on beginning DB - and some other bits

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by lowender, Aug 10, 2005.

1. lowender

lowender

Aug 10, 2005
    Staffs, UK
    folks
    I am looking into starting upright and have a few questions I would really appreciate answers to. I have had a good search through the newbie area but still have some things I'd like to ask. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

firstly, any ideas on uprights (I'm personally looking at acoustics most prob 3/4 size as I am 5'8" - is this the recommended size) around the £500 mark (UK)? I have read a review about the ANTONI DEBUT in bass guitar magazine which got a reasonable score (79 out of 100) and was commended on its price (about £450 ish although I have seen it cheaper) but went into a local shop and although they hadn't seen the Antoni DB's they said they'd previously had their violins and didn't rate them, and have also looked at the Stentor budget model (looks ok but can't find any reviews) - any recommendations would be gratefully received.

are there (or what are) any particular pitfalls when buying/starting to play the upright? what are the main differences in technique? I had a brief (very) of a chinese made upright in a local shop and must admit I thought bloody hell where do I start with this animal!
    I currently play EB (been playing about 3 years, previously played guitar from the age of 15 -am 30 now)and have pretty good technique, I really want to learn DB but have the fear!

One last thing, can anybody recommend any particular players/recordings/videoclips (if you could include a link that'd be great).. currently I'm a big fan of Ali Friend (Red Snapper), Reid Anderson (The Bad Plus), MMW and Hotclub of Cowtown.

any advice would be most gratefully received and I sincerely apologise if this kind of thing crops up all the time and you folks are sick of dishing out the basics to newbies..
    thanks all.

2. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

4. Bruce Lindfield

I would advise getting the DVD of Rufus Reid's Evolving Bassist and if you want to scare yourself - get the DVD of Oscar Peterson live in Montreux with Ray Brown and NHOP (RIP both :( ) - both can be bought from the great UK Jazz Magazine JazzWise :

http://www.jazzwise.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=10&osCsid=5b9082ecf8f6ef82cfb500fd0a8840f1

5. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  6. lowender

lowender

Aug 10, 2005
    Staffs, UK
    i saw quite a bit on schroetters in other threads and saw the one mentioned for 650 on the above site (singing chicken) for about 400.
    anybody any ideas if this is a bargain or something a bit dodgy.
    thanks

7. Lowender,
    I bought a Schroetter DB (ASB-060) at Easter for £540. However, that £540 doesn't get you exactly what you need.

I've spent a further £100 with the local luthier to make it more playable (It came with too much fingerboard scoop, so the strings were nowhere near the fingerboard at the octave and the bridge curvature was so shallow even my teacher couldn't bow the D string without catching the A and G).

I've also changed the strings because the ones on there looked about 10 years old. £66

So that's £706 so far. But it does sound quite nice now, and I've spent less than on a Stentor.

Rob

8. I'm currently liking 'Nostalgia 77 - The Garden' and if you like Redsnapper then Fingathing might be worth a listen (DB & Turntables).

9. Bruce Lindfield

Like - "What a Stoopid name - do they expect to be taken seriously!!??" ;)

No, it is getting more encouraging in the UK - 2-3 years ago, nobody was selling DBs in a reasonable price range, but Stentor really seem to have spotted a gap and shaken up the market! :)

If you are talking about the Andreas Zeller basses, I didn't like those I tried and Mike Crumpton has one and says he now prefers Olie's Stentor Conservatoire - the Profundo looks good, but I haven't tried one.

I'm happy enough with my Elysia and this is going to keep me working for a couple of years at least, before I even think about getting anything else!! ;)

I had another go on a 5-string Paul Bryant DB at Jazz Summerschool and I'm just not ready for it, yet! :)