Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another practice amp question.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mazinger, Dec 5, 2002.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I've been looking at those tiny amps(kustom, behringer,....)

Somewhere around 10-15 watts.

It's just something I want to keep in the living room to use when I'm watching t.v., etc.., so I don't want anything that will be too big and stand out. Just something I can put in a small corner or behind a couch when not in use. It's going to be used at a normal "speaking" level.

I do like the looks of that tiny behringer bx108 w/ an 8" speaker.

I've never had any tiny amps like these. Are these worth the money? They don't sound too bad, do they?

Oh yeah...I'll probably use a 5 string on it once in awhile too.

2. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I bought the small Kustom KBA16 from M.F. for $49.00. I use it the same way as you and it fits under an end table in the family room when not in use. I think for playing along with a stereo or just playing the bass alone, it sounds fine.

3. Hi,

I'm also planning to get a small practice combo!
    Last week I tried out that tiny Behringer BX108.
    I also liked the 'retro' design. It's the nicest practice bassamp I've seen around.

I also tried a small Trace Elliot (too expensive and the sound was quite thin), a Fender Frontman (good sound!), a Ampeg BA-112 (very very hi-priced, but great sound, too much for livingroom playing anyway), a Behringer BX1200 (great amp! good bang for your buck! But too much power for livingroom amp).

I made the conclusion that the Fender and the small Behringer were the best for my purpose.
    I still want too try out a Peavey MicroBass, because I've read so many great reviews about it.

My n°1 is the Behringer. The sound is good for a practice amp. The sound doesn't break up when the bass-switch is full cranked and the volume ain't too loud (no need for a loud practice amp, is there?). I didn't try it out with a 5-string (don't have one). I just fell in love with the vintage design... how can an ugly peavey or fender beat that... all amps are in the same pricerange of 125 euro...

4. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Right now I'm deciding over a bx108 and the kustom kba16, which it $30 cheaper.

I like the look of the behringer though. At least it would look cool sitting next to my fireplace. We all know that's what bass playing is all about. Right?:D