Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another pre/power hookup question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, May 9, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    I did some searching on the forum but found more info on running cables from the power amp to the cabinet, so i need some help on the pre to power. i have a yamaha pb-1 pre and a qsc plx1602 power. Now my question is, is it that beneficial to run the signal from the pre through the balanced output or will there be a big difference just running it from the 1/4" unbalanced output to the power? any advice will be nice.

also, while im asking questions, what is the best way to run a cable from power amp to cabinets if I'm planning on bridging it. i have a eden 410xst cab. Should i run a cable from the posts on the poweramp to the posts on the cabinet, and if so what type of cable is necesarry for this. I'm rather new to a power/pre setup so all the advice is appreciated.

thanks
    jw

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you should use the 1/4" outputs to the power amp. you won't experience any signal loss or degredation in a six inch unbalanced cable.

the balanced output is most likley also mic level as opposed to line level and is optimized for sending to a mixing board rather than a poweramp.

3. BassBeat33

BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    thanks alot... anyone have any advice for the power amp to cabinet ?

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I may have to disagree with that.
    I have a PLX and ran it both balanced and unbalanced

The gain structure of the whole rig is different and better running balanced.

Not so much a difference in noise or signal degredation but...balanced just sounds better to me.

It really wasn't a subtle difference it was pretty in your face, gotta change some pre-post gain and tweak some EQ difference.

I haven't run anything unbalanced since the first time I tried balanced.