another pre/power hookup question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeat33, May 9, 2005.

1. BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    I did some searching on the forum but found more info on running cables from the power amp to the cabinet, so i need some help on the pre to power. i have a yamaha pb-1 pre and a qsc plx1602 power. Now my question is, is it that beneficial to run the signal from the pre through the balanced output or will there be a big difference just running it from the 1/4" unbalanced output to the power? any advice will be nice.

also, while im asking questions, what is the best way to run a cable from power amp to cabinets if I'm planning on bridging it. i have a eden 410xst cab. Should i run a cable from the posts on the poweramp to the posts on the cabinet, and if so what type of cable is necesarry for this. I'm rather new to a power/pre setup so all the advice is appreciated.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you should use the 1/4" outputs to the power amp. you won't experience any signal loss or degredation in a six inch unbalanced cable.

the balanced output is most likley also mic level as opposed to line level and is optimized for sending to a mixing board rather than a poweramp.
  3. BassBeat33

Feb 12, 2005
    charleston, wv
    thanks alot... anyone have any advice for the power amp to cabinet ?
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I may have to disagree with that.
    I have a PLX and ran it both balanced and unbalanced

The gain structure of the whole rig is different and better running balanced.

Not so much a difference in noise or signal degredation but...balanced just sounds better to me.

It really wasn't a subtle difference it was pretty in your face, gotta change some pre-post gain and tweak some EQ difference.

I haven't run anything unbalanced since the first time I tried balanced.