Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Pre Tube thread (for SVT II )

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 22, 2005.

1. I know i probably shouldnt start one of these "what tubes should i get" threads :ninja: , but thats just one of the questions :smug:

Here's what it is currently loaded with

===================

Pre:

3x 12AX7 - "National" (made in china)

Driver:

2x 12AU7 - Ampeg? "Hot Rods" (made in E.Germany 95-126-01)

1x 12AX7 - "National" (made in china)

Power:

6x "Philips ECG" 6550A (identified as Sylvania 6550A's)

===================

I have never heard of the "National" 12AX7's, anyone care to shed any light on them?

Im just looking for a bit more bite from the amp, bit growlier sounding, any recomendations on what pre or driver tubes should be changed and what for ? (guessing NOS blackplate etc etc :p )

Cheers guys

(im not sure if the 12AX7 in the driver section is a driver or not, i just listed them from the seperate rows in the amp)

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

"National" is the Japanese brand for parent company Matsu****a who we know as "Panasonic" in the west. BUT as it is Chinese, on second thought probably not the same (has something to do with the Chinese being poor sports about a Japanese military occupation a while ago).

If you're looking for more "grind" in your sound, I found that switching to Electro Harmonix (made in Russia) in my Ampeg SVT3 Pro and Peavey Max preamp gave a cleaner / clearer / deeper sound, which was what I was looking for.

So by process of elimination the EH probably is NOT what you're looking for. Move on to JJ / GT maybe.

3. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Here is a blatant plug.

Email or call Christian at http://www.tubedepot.com and explain to him in detail exactly the sound you are looking for. They know tubes & have great prices.

TOLL FREE Phone: 877-289-7994
    EMAIL: info@tubedepot.com

I have one other recomendation... stay away from Sovtek 12AX7 LPS tubes for your SVT II, the midrange tone doesn't suit bass... IMO.

4. cool, cheers ill mail them tomorrow :)

5. ive emailed them, anyone else wanna chip in any suggestions whilst im waiting for a reply?

6. I got a reply, and they suggested Electro Harmonix tubes, they are pretty cheap (on sale there right now), so ill probably go with them

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I like the EH12AX7s that are in my SVP Pro so that's what I would do. Come to think of it, I've liked them in my DB 659 too.

8. +1 for Christian at Tube Depot. He recommended the tubes that are in r379's SVP-Pro. Sounded way better than the cheapo Sovtek's that were in there before. I told him what kind of sound I was after and he recommended the tubes. Really cool guy to work with.

9. Yeah, thanks again for pointing that out, got some very quick straight to the point answers and none of the salesman malarky about getting the most expensive thing there :)

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I put all EH tubes in my SVP CL & I liked the sound. It sounded better than the stock Sovteks for sure. But other than the 12AX7 LPS tubes (plus EH 12AU7's), I didnt try out any other tubes in it.

11. ummmm... EH tubes ARE Sovtek.

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    The 12AX7WA (which are stock in most new Ampegs) & 12AX7EH are not the same tube.

13. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Not to nit pick, but he said better than the stock Sovteks
    he didn't say, better than Sovteks

14. You could get the same 'luck of the draw/better sound' by trying the SAME designation Sovtek 12AX7, but just a different tube. Sovtek has never been too exact about making sure which variant of 12AX7 they're selling actually corresponds to its model number. I've seen the same tube type sold as a Sovtek 12AX7A, 12AX7WA, 12AX7LP, 12AX7LPS, 12AX7B, and EH 12AX7. That's not to say that they are NO differences between those models, just that Sovtek is pretty liberal with their labelling, pretty much just labelling a tube to correspond with whatever tube type they're currently advertising.