Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Project Bass Thread...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Apr 10, 2005.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    ...but this one is mine! I've finally finished up the 1989(ish) fretless MIJ Jazz bass I was working on. Well, perhaps not finished, but to a state where I can play it. I stripped off the finish because it was ruined and did it up in gunstock oil. I'm debating whether to put a pickguard on it as well as a few other mods (suggestions are welcome). Also, the pickups in there (Bartolinis) were purchased from Geoff St. Germaine.

[​IMG]

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would put a pickguard on there. Sometimes it is fine to have screw holes, and it doesn't look bad, but IMO this instance looks pretty shoddy with the bare wood and obvious holes. If it were a darker finish or oil, the holes probably would not be a problem.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Good call on the pickguard, any particular colour/design? I'm partial to tort guards, but black might work too. It came with a white pearl one, which looks hideous with the bare wood...

4. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    black pearl or abalone would look pretty sweet IMHO. nice contrast from the bare wood without being too flashy.

5. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I think all top-routed J-style basses should keep the guard, because the shape of the control plate suggests that there's supposed to be a pickguard sitting next to it. It's not like a '51 P-Bass where the plate can stand alone.

We all see Jazz basses every day with the pickguard removed, but IMO it's obvious that there is something missing from the instrument.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Yeah, and the Jazz-style body is just huge so pickguard breaks up that expanse.

7. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Oh yeah, I should also mention that this whole thing has cost me about $250 CDN ($201.53 US according to xe.com). That includes the bass and the pickups.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    OK, what about this idea for a pickguard... Claro Walnut?

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd like to see a wood pickguard on it. It'd be *real* nice if you could get one to match the wood pretty closely and just like, stain it a different color or something. Or just get an exotic wood and put on it.

Ray

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Tort. Old school 60's Jazz with stripped finish vibe!!!!

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Thanks to C-5KO I now have that tort 'guard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the lighting quality in the pics)

12. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    That is one fine bass!
    Any chance of some soundclips?

13. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Thanks!

No soundclips yet though. I'll have to get some maybe...