Another Puppy Thread...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Hey...

We just got a puppy today and he's been great so far. I am afraid he's gonna go into my room,and start biting my bass cable,bass,amp,or all you guys know anything I can do to prevent it? I dont have much space to put my stuff up(like on a desk or whatever) and I dont want him to start biting it...

I appreciate the help.
  2. If you got a closet put the stuff in there while your not using it. Also, give the dog a chew toy, something soft for now, and let it chew on that. We used chew toys to keep our dog as a puppy (and now) from chewing things up.
  3. yep. go to your local petstore and ask for "bitter-apple" spray. it is a non harmful spray that can be used to keep animals from chewing on things or people. i used this when my ferret was a baby to teach him nibbling on fingers was bad and chewing on power cords was worse :smug: it worked just fine. btw, it isnt smellable to humans as far as i know, and doesnt stain anything either. hope that helps. :)
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I just got a Basset Hound puppy. We do have two other dogs, both pom's. I keep them from biting my things by never letting them come into my room under their own power. If they waltz in, I scream bloody murder and they leave. Most of the time I just throw a towel at the pom's to get them to leave. The basset never moves, so no worries there. In short,

Close your door.

Or put everything up high...
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    go to the baby dept @ Walmart or the like and get a baby gate for your door. I think they run around $20. Keeps pooch out while you can't watch it and lets you keep your door open.
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    oh yeah.... Congrats on the new puppies guys !!!

my pup is 3 years old these days.

7. We had one of those for the stairs at our old house because we didn't want our dog going up and tripping and getting hurt. But now we don't have to worry about that since she lives in the added on office and backyard :)
  8. Wow...thanks for all the info.

What I did was I actually got a chair,sat it on it's side...and baricaded my bass for the amp,if he goes near it,ima go "no...."

Or something:meh:

so far so good:)

Oh,thanks Speddling for the congrats:)
  9. Start training it young ;) It will be very helpful later on in it's life and will be more fun to have :) Congrats, you should have loads of fun with it! ~ Tyler
  10. far so good,he began to nibble on my cable and I go "no..." and he stopped :)

he sniffed my amp but didnt mess with it.

It was actually kinda funny...I started playing and he just looked at me:) he's awsome
  11. Since you guys are on a topic about dogs, I have a quick question. When the boys come over to Jam we set up in a room down in the basement, all of us wear ear plugs because it gets extremely loud, my dog (golden retriever) likes to be where ever I go, so he comes down to the room as well and stays there the whole time we jam until we go back upstairs, he dosnt get in the way and sometimes he sleeps (i have no idea how he could possibly sleep with all the raquet going on), but now to the question, would all the loud music for long periods of time be harmfull to the dogs ears, or can they tune noise out?
  12. I heard dogs have super sensitive hearing...

So,maybe you should buy some dog ear plugs;)

Just kidding,but seriously...maybe close the door?:meh:
  13. Congrats on the puppy, I have an 8 year old yellow lab puppy myself;). It never really ate any of my brothers guitar gear as a puppy (I haven't started playing bass at this time, I started 4 years ago) but wreaked havoc on pretty much everything else. She ate a giant chunk out of the carpet, chewed up shoes and backpacks, chewed up Cd's and even chewed through one of those plastic security gates. Now she is really calm but was a hellraiser younger. I suggest you use the bitter apple spray someone else suggested and give it a good toy to chew on. It will get over its chew everything phase in about a year. Good luck
  14. yeah...we give him an old sock(with a knot,so he doesnt swallow it) and a few bones...

He's a little hellraiser himself:)
  15. willwonka, I would probably get some earplugs for the dog. I know when I play by myself out here (where my dog sleeps/lives/eats) she sits and listens to me, but it's not too loud so it wont hurt her ears. But when I get my friends over to jam, she's out the door into the backyard, because it gets REALLY loud in here. So earplugs or locking out of the room (as much as you don't want to) would be best.
  16. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just cover all my cables and bass gear with jalepeno juice. Problem solved.
  17. Hey Jon...where the pics at bro?
  18. huh? :confused:
  19. My ass.

Actually,I gotta ask my friend if I can borrow his camera...don't worry,I'll try to get some shortly :)