1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Quarter Pound Jazz V question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Apr 3, 2009.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    After doing quite a bit of reading and researching, I believe the Quarter Pound Jazz V set is what I want in my Squier Affinity. I've been playing a USA G&L L2500 for 12 years and I've just grown accustomed to that big, fat MFD growl and aggression. I want the Affinity to at least kind of resemble that tone (NOT resemble the G&L as a whole mind you, that would be impossible)

Right now I have the Basslines 67/70 set in there out of a Fender Jazz 24V (which TB'er stingray'69 so graciously gave me and asked nothing in return...but he'll get something. it's not in my nature to just take and not reciprocate)
    With these Basslines, the Affinity sounds very clear and "jazzy", as it should since these pickups were made to emulate a '62 Jazz.

Would the QP's allow me to retain a bit of that "jazzyness" being that they are a hot-as-hell pickup?

the 67/70 Basslines will go into my defretted Squier Deluxe [in]Active Jazz V, which has been [hurriedly routed for said pickups...I have to clean those routes up a bit]

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    they're hot, but the big magnets bring back the missing attack and clarity, so they just sound "big". might be a good choice to fix the typically anemic B on 5-string jazz basses.