1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ANOTHER question about distortion/overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fe11atio, Oct 18, 2006.

1. fe11atio

fe11atio

Jan 30, 2006
    Why its so difficult for us bass players to find a dist/overdrive pedal AFFORDABLE and descent. While our fellow guitarists have plenty of choices starting as little as 40 bucks (Boss DS1), We bass players have to spend some hard earned money in order to get a Fulltone, buddha, etc. Why??
    I've tried the Digitech bass driver, the overdrive setting of the OC3, mxr's m80. Allof them with dissapointing results. I cannot get the cutting growl or , like I prefer to call it "roar", that Ben Green from Godflesh gets. I know he uses a Boss heavy metal guitar pedal paired with EQ to compensate the lost of bottom end but i personally prefer use a bass designed pedal because the less pedals i have to deal with the best. I have an Boss GEB7 which is set to go on e bay but before sell i sell it I'd like to get some advice from more experienced bassist in this forum. How about the Ibanez Pd7? I never had the chance to tried since the Guitar Center in my town only carries the horrific Boss Odb3 which like all the other pedals i've tried only gives me a Buzz (not a Fuzz, a Buzz). However, Im not looking for a Tim Commenford type overdrive but a Static x or Ryan Martine bite altought i know he doesnt use pedals his roar comes from the Warwick, but I use his name because his tone helps me ilustrate my point. You Know just some crust or dirt in my sound. thanx for your time.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I think a lot of people like the overdrive from the Sansamp BDDI. Have you tried that?

3. I think you might like a GK Diesel Dawg. As I understand it's the distortion circuit found in GK heads and I think it sounds great and it is designed for bass. If that doesn't do it for you you might just have to get a tube head.

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    EHX Little Big Muff. Pretty cheap and sounds great with bass, but is a bit all-or-nothing.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    As far as OD/distortion pedals designed for bass vs. guitar, it's a matter of demand. Just think of how many 6-string shredder hacks are out there. It's no surprise that the manufacturers are concentrating on their biggest customer base. Thankfully, we all have the informative TB effects forum to share info on what works well for us sophistcated low-enders and what doesn't.

6. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Someone just needs to make a Ts-9 with bigger caps and that would solve many bassists OD needs...

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    More of a "chainsaw" vs an "Angry Can Of Bees" sound. This is clean -> max OD -> max Dist ->pandora fuzz (for comparison) The distortion levels are maxxed so you can get less but not more than in the sample.

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/phatpan.mp3

8. dexterward

dexterward

Sep 30, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Isn't the Fulltone bassdrive based on the tubescreamer circuit?

I could be wrong... Awesome overdrive though, can get pretty heavy too.

Also check out the metal Muff. tons of low end, really fun to play with. I've yet to try it out in a group setting though

9. The bassdrive definately sounds like a fuzz in the shape its "overdrive" takes.

I think more people should check out the Boss OD-3 and cheap Overdrives and distortions and they'd be suprised at how good some of them are.

10. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah it is... I guess I meant something more affordable!:ninja:

11. Nice job Lug!!!
    I have been leaning towards a distortion pedal, but the max od from your PD7 sounded pretty good!

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Altough I actually bought it as a FUZZ ... I have been more than pleased with using the Roger Mayer "VooDoo Bass" as an overdrive.

:smug: ... Just rolled back on the drive and gain ... and there it was.

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I love the sounds I can get out my BDDI and my GT2 Sansamp pedals :hyper:

14. I like my DOD 250 for overdrive. Its nice and cheap too.