Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another question about fretless basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Sep 10, 2000.

1. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    As I stated in my earlier post, I'm considering buying a fretless (probably a Fender Jazz). As far as playing, I really like jazz and ska. I play with lots of slides and sometimes end up playing a lot of drawn-out notes that sustain for a couple of bars. I play with a pretty strong fretting hand. Is there anything special that I need to know about playing a fretless? Obviously, there's the intonation, which I'm willing to learn. I assume that since there aren't frets, I'll have to press down fairly hard to get a good, clear, note (but as I said I have a pretty strong fretting hand - comes from having a pretty high action). I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but what is it? Help please!

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You may wish to have a higher action on this instrument with minimal 'mwah' - I have couple of my fretless basses set that way and enjoy them for their versatility. Just like with a fretted bass, a firm contact between string and board (fret) is key to a clean sounding and long sustaining note.

3. Firestarter_75

Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000
    Hi,

I've really only played fretted basses, but a couple of weeks ago, I tried out a frettless bass (Peavey Cirrus 4 string). I really enjoyed it. with a frettless the action can be extremely low and you don't have to press down hard at all. You just have to be carefull where you are playing! :) The slides are also very clean an nice sounding. If I had the money I would buy me one. I hope this helps.