Another question about fretless basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by White_Knight, Sep 10, 2000.

1. White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    As I stated in my earlier post, I'm considering buying a fretless (probably a Fender Jazz). As far as playing, I really like jazz and ska. I play with lots of slides and sometimes end up playing a lot of drawn-out notes that sustain for a couple of bars. I play with a pretty strong fretting hand. Is there anything special that I need to know about playing a fretless? Obviously, there's the intonation, which I'm willing to learn. I assume that since there aren't frets, I'll have to press down fairly hard to get a good, clear, note (but as I said I have a pretty strong fretting hand - comes from having a pretty high action). I'm sure I'm overlooking something, but what is it? Help please!
  2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    You may wish to have a higher action on this instrument with minimal 'mwah' - I have couple of my fretless basses set that way and enjoy them for their versatility. Just like with a fretted bass, a firm contact between string and board (fret) is key to a clean sounding and long sustaining note.
  3. Firestarter_75

Jun 7, 2000

I've really only played fretted basses, but a couple of weeks ago, I tried out a frettless bass (Peavey Cirrus 4 string). I really enjoyed it. with a frettless the action can be extremely low and you don't have to press down hard at all. You just have to be carefull where you are playing! :) The slides are also very clean an nice sounding. If I had the money I would buy me one. I hope this helps.