Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another question about ohms ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sliminy_rickets, Oct 3, 2002.

1. What I'm workin with ...

I have an OLD trace elliot AH150 (12 band eq) with no users manual. There are two speaker outs on the rear with the words "Total Load 4 OHMS".

I have two cabs available to me. One is an old Fender BXR115 (Impedance 8 OHMS - Power Rating 150 watts) but I am told the original speaker has been replaced with a 15" Peavey Black Widow.

The other cab is a brand new Ampeg SVT-410HLF (Impedance 4 OHMS - Power Rating 500w RMS / 1000w Program).

Questions ....

Can I use both?
    Should I use both?
    Oh you say I shouldn't? Why not? What will happen?
    Should I get a new head!
    If so what do I need in order to use both cabs?

If you couldn't tell, I am am looking for an excuse to get a new head! Like I said the Trace I have is OLD and beat ..... and since I am still not happy with the sound when cranked with the new Ampeg cab alone, I am kinda thinking it's the head that needs to be replaced. From what I have read I kinda got the impression that running both cabs wouldn't be a good idea but I was wondering if doing so would damage the head or the cabs? or both?!?!

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enuff to reply.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    No.
    No.
    4+8 = 2.67, could damage the head
    beats me
    something that can do 2 ohms

it's in the FAQ (and an uncountably infinite number of threads), people. . .

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Geshel has already answered most of your questions! I would recommend getting a new head - trade your head and the 1 x 15 cab and see how good a head you can get for your money. As the Ampeg cab is new, I;d keep it - I'm sure it'll serve you well whatever head you get!!!

4. OK thanks for the info ....

I guess the next question is, if I am shopping for a new head for my Ampeg SVT-410HLF (Impedance 4 OHMS - Power Rating 500w RMS / 1000w Program), what would be the ideal wattage?

500w or 1000w?

I guess I am really wondering what the difference is between the RMS wattage and the Program wattage.

Thanks again

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I would go for something about the 500 watts - depending on your price range.

You can go higher, you just overpower the cab a bit - this can decrease it's useful life (by overworking the speakers)

RMS wattage is the power that is fed into the cab on average - over a finite period of time (it stands for Root Mean Square ) Program is the peak power that the amp can produce - the very maximum at any point in time that will be present!

Hope this helps!