Another question about ohms ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sliminy_rickets, Oct 3, 2002.

1. What I'm workin with ...

I have an OLD trace elliot AH150 (12 band eq) with no users manual. There are two speaker outs on the rear with the words "Total Load 4 OHMS".

I have two cabs available to me. One is an old Fender BXR115 (Impedance 8 OHMS - Power Rating 150 watts) but I am told the original speaker has been replaced with a 15" Peavey Black Widow.

The other cab is a brand new Ampeg SVT-410HLF (Impedance 4 OHMS - Power Rating 500w RMS / 1000w Program).

Questions ....

Can I use both?
    Should I use both?
    Oh you say I shouldn't? Why not? What will happen?
    Should I get a new head!
    If so what do I need in order to use both cabs?

If you couldn't tell, I am am looking for an excuse to get a new head! Like I said the Trace I have is OLD and beat ..... and since I am still not happy with the sound when cranked with the new Ampeg cab alone, I am kinda thinking it's the head that needs to be replaced. From what I have read I kinda got the impression that running both cabs wouldn't be a good idea but I was wondering if doing so would damage the head or the cabs? or both?!?!

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enuff to reply.
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    4+8 = 2.67, could damage the head
    beats me
    something that can do 2 ohms

it's in the FAQ (and an uncountably infinite number of threads), people. . .
  3. Geshel has already answered most of your questions! I would recommend getting a new head - trade your head and the 1 x 15 cab and see how good a head you can get for your money. As the Ampeg cab is new, I;d keep it - I'm sure it'll serve you well whatever head you get!!!
  4. OK thanks for the info ....

I guess the next question is, if I am shopping for a new head for my Ampeg SVT-410HLF (Impedance 4 OHMS - Power Rating 500w RMS / 1000w Program), what would be the ideal wattage?

500w or 1000w?

I guess I am really wondering what the difference is between the RMS wattage and the Program wattage.

Thanks again
  5. I would go for something about the 500 watts - depending on your price range.

You can go higher, you just overpower the cab a bit - this can decrease it's useful life (by overworking the speakers)

RMS wattage is the power that is fed into the cab on average - over a finite period of time (it stands for Root Mean Square ) Program is the peak power that the amp can produce - the very maximum at any point in time that will be present!

Hope this helps!