Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another question about wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Stewmc5222, Dec 9, 2002.

1. what can anyone tell me about the tonal, weight, and density properties of blood wood? is it better suited in a fingerboard, a neck, a body, or a top? I found a couple of pics the other day and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the stuff.

thanks for the time and patience, all. stay well and keep it groovin' low,

Stew

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    From David King (www.kingbass.com):

Satine (Bloodwood)

South America

very hard, heavy

fingerboards, laminations

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    My Chapman stick is being made out of bloodwood, so I guess you can make a fingerboard out of it.

4. well, the shots I saw of it were lovely, but I've never seen it used. maybe I'll start to put a bug in Bill Conklin's ear about using the stuff in a bass down the line...

thanks for the help, guys!

from the low end,

Stew

5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Like purpleheart, but red. Heavy, dense, hard. Splintery to work with. Lower bending strength than purpleheart, I think. Smells like perfume when milled. Grain is fine, figure is plain, some small, open pores.

Too heavy for body wood and probably for the mains of a neck. I've used it as neck stringers and would make a top/back or fingerboard out of it.

6. VERY cool data. thanks, Matt. hope all's well up in MA. snowy up there yet?

from the low end,

Stew

7. Massachusetts (I love the state btw) wouldn't know snow, hehe. :D

Two winters ago, we got 194 inches, three inches short of our all time record.

Our record is 1993, where we got 197.2. It snowed 46 inches on my birthday that year (Look at my birthdate in my profile!), then was 70 degrees the next week - caused massive flooding.

If you look at a New York state map, there is an area directly east of Lake Ontario, in Lewis County, that has no major roads. It is called the Tug Hill Plateau, and you want snow? Getting over 300 inches in a year isn't even remotely out of the question. The same snow band that will bring Central NY 6-10 inches will sometimes bring them like 30.

Unlike some other cities in the U.S. (namely Chicago and Buffalo), we still get noticeable amounts of snow AFTER THE GREAT LAKES FREEZE!!!!!!!

(Although no city gets single-handedly dumped on at once like my friends out there in Western N.Y.)

Western Mass, however, can get some snow to speak of. It is also absolutely gorgeous to drive through.

8. hey Chris,

I was born in December in upstate NY (Jamestown, specifically) and my folks live in New Hampshire's White Mountains. snow and me go WAY back! part of the joys of a life in New Orleans, though, is not having to measure the annual snowfall interms of yards!

do you have any experince with bloodwood?

from the low end,

Stew