Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another question for MTD owners.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rulyøngo, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Hello Fellow MTD owners. If you can tell me which is the best product to clean and polish my new MTD bass? I'm using The Dunlop Polish no. 65 cleaner but I wonder if there is something better.

HELP!!!

2. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax.

Mr. T. reccomends it (I think he's even got a link on his site). You can buy a can at any well-stocked hardware store that will last you for, like, the rest of your life.

3. THANX!!!

4. I have been looking for it everywhere but it seems that nobody here in Puerto Rico sells it. Can someone recommend anything else??? What about Warwick's Beeswax???

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's why I hate oil / wax finished basses.. Satin clear-coat finish for me from now on..

;)

6. Really It's no problem, I have a 1992 Warwick Dolphin and there is something sexy about getting your sweat on a seemingly plain chunk of wood... :D :D :D ... Plus with age they develop a nice color...

7. Just bought The Butcher's wax in ebay... :hyper:

8. It takes a few light applications with some rubbing before the Butchers Wax really gets nice.

Try to keep it off the neck, or it will slow down your fretting hand.

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    You guys polish? I just let my MTD sit there, its been like that for a while now.... I have to admit its not the shiniest bass, but it still sounds damn good and still looks pretty darn good too.

10. I just take a slightly damp warm rag and wipe it off every couple of weeks and then dry with a fresh cloth.... been doing it for 7 years now and the bass looks like new. I apply a small amount of fretboard oil once a year on the wenge neck.

Mike suggests lemon oil on the body if it becomes very dirty.

11. Thanks for the input.

12. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've had my 635 (burl myrtle top, ash body, dark red burst) for about 18 months now. For the first 12, I didn't do anything too it at all (I was so in love with the way it sounded and looked that I felt almost superstitious about changing anything--even the strings. I've waxed it once (with the Butcher's stuff) and it made it prettier still -- gave it kind of glowing, slightly warmer look).

BTW, mtd's aren't oiled or waxed. As mike describes it:
    The standard finish is a catalyzed acrylic urethane satin that looks and feels a lot like oil but is many times harder without building great thickness. This allows the bass to breathe, sounding more wooden.

So my guess is, you probably don't need to do anything to it at all, but like I said, I think the wax improves it.

13. Nice answer, thanx. Anyway my Warwick also needs a polishing... I don't know why because ever since I got the MTD I haven't used another bass... :D :hyper:

14. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    That's good to know.... Now my gas for a MTD has tripled...

:(

15. Ruly i think the warwick wax will do the trick,u might wanna check that, i have some if u need,and i can go and check that MTD.
    U know i'm thinking of one,but i'm a 5 string guy so maybe a nice 535,if i wasn't so broke right now ill grab the one thats for sale here on TB.Maybe i'll start with an Saratoga or a Kingstone...anyways if u wanna check the wax ,i have some,let me know ok.later!

16. Hey Omar!!! I had the Warwick Wax, but even though it was good I want to see if I can get something better...