Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another question for the Fender experts.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Apr 5, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've noticed that some Jazzes have either a 'complete' pickguard that has the holes for the pots/jack and some have a 'partial' pickguard and the pots/jack piece is separate. Is this a MIM/American thing or is just a random thing on all the Jazzes whether MIM/Japan/American? I'm asking because I like the 'partial' style and want to put that on my MIM Jazz.

2. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    On all p basses the pickguard covers the pots on jazzes a chrome plate does , but I think one or 2 jazzes use a p-bass pickguard like the mark hoppus signature jazz

3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    some of the late '70s and '80s came with 1 piece pickguard-c0ntrolplate, not factory abailiable nowdays.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Well my MIM is mid 90's and has the one piece' complete' pickguard.

5. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    My MIM came that way, too. Personally, I think it makes the bass look cheap, so I replaced both pieces with the traditional pickguard and control plate combo.

6. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    Just from what I've seen, the jazz bodies with one-piece guards:
    -83 MIAs
    -early to mid 90s MIMs
    -Mark Hoppus sig

7. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    of course some j basses have the single piece but traditionaly they come with the chrome plate over the pots and a pickguard

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    well im not an expert, but i had the chance to see some fender Js the way you described made rounding the period i mentioned, however i didnt knew a thing about MIMs.

BTW: you can buy the pickguard and the control plate for less than a 100 bucks or even less than 60 bucks depending on the pickguard.