ANOTHER Question to those who've Warmoth'd.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Apr 12, 2004.

1. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    How many of you have built a bass, using a body core, made from Walnut? What kind of tone does this wood give? On Warmoth's site, its described as:
    Ok, *** is "similar to maple, but not as bright"...
    Thier site says:

I'm familiar with how Swamp Ash sounds, as my Lakland is made of Swamp Ash. thier site has THIS to say about Ash:

I guess my concern is, throught out my searches here on TB, I get the impression that Walnut is generally more of an accent or trim wood... In discussing it w/ a sales rep, via phone call, we kinda joked that I could be thier test bed for this combination. hehe.

So, what DOES Walnut sound like?
  2. A little darker than maple.

I have a warmoth Jazz made out of rock maple, the thing is a tank, but it sounds good.
  3. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Walnut is good for clarity in the lower notes; the trade off is that your high strings may be a bit thin and treble-y. Since it's a very hard wood, it doesn't dampen any of the higher frequencies the way a softer wood does.
  4. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, I was thinking of a P/J pickup combo anyway... Might offset that issue...

Maybe I should just go w/ Black Korina...
  5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The first Warmoth Deluxe Jazz 5 I made had a 2-piece Walnut body. It was very heavy but had a great sound. With Bart stacked Jazz P/U's and NTBT pre it sound very warm. If anything I felt that it lacked the brightness of maple. It wasn't bright sounding at all. The neck was maple w/ebony FB.
  6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I chose the White Korina for mine. I like the big fat tone of it. I also wanted something a little different. I like the Warmoth stuff. I think that the neck joints seem to be a little thick, but good workmanship.
    I am going with KOA for my next one.