Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ANOTHER Question to those who've Warmoth'd.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Apr 12, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    How many of you have built a bass, using a body core, made from Walnut? What kind of tone does this wood give? On Warmoth's site, its described as:
    Ok, *** is "similar to maple, but not as bright"...
    Thier site says:

I'm familiar with how Swamp Ash sounds, as my Lakland is made of Swamp Ash. thier site has THIS to say about Ash:

I guess my concern is, throught out my searches here on TB, I get the impression that Walnut is generally more of an accent or trim wood... In discussing it w/ a sales rep, via phone call, we kinda joked that I could be thier test bed for this combination. hehe.

So, what DOES Walnut sound like?

2. A little darker than maple.

I have a warmoth Jazz made out of rock maple, the thing is a tank, but it sounds good.

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Walnut is good for clarity in the lower notes; the trade off is that your high strings may be a bit thin and treble-y. Since it's a very hard wood, it doesn't dampen any of the higher frequencies the way a softer wood does.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, I was thinking of a P/J pickup combo anyway... Might offset that issue...

Maybe I should just go w/ Black Korina...

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The first Warmoth Deluxe Jazz 5 I made had a 2-piece Walnut body. It was very heavy but had a great sound. With Bart stacked Jazz P/U's and NTBT pre it sound very warm. If anything I felt that it lacked the brightness of maple. It wasn't bright sounding at all. The neck was maple w/ebony FB.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I chose the White Korina for mine. I like the big fat tone of it. I also wanted something a little different. I like the Warmoth stuff. I think that the neck joints seem to be a little thick, but good workmanship.
    I am going with KOA for my next one.
    :cool: