1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another questionable relic job

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedrodelawasp, May 21, 2011.

1. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    'Road worn' as in dragged down a gravel road, sure.

Relicing is an artform, and as such requires at least some talent and a lot of skill to boot.
    Not everyone has that talent, much less the skill required to do a convincing job.

2. I've never been a fan of reliced instruments. Those badges should be earned not applied. But this doesn't even look close. This just looks like somebody sanded it for a new paint job and lost interest half way through the project.

3. yeah i attempted it on a mim p bass and it looks cool from a few feet away but when you get up close to it, it looks like a bad job. It was my first time trying it. Not to mention i soaked my tuners in muriatic acid for way too long and didnt have any tuners left. I think relic's look really kool but "kcole4001" is right, it is an art and you can really screw up a nice intstrument if you are not careful.

4. Where's the buckle rash? I see a bald spot - a neat circular sanded-out spot but no buckle rash at all.

I say [DEL]fake[/DEL] fail.

Hey! This isn't that papa-guy's other business is it???

I edited the bad word for you.

5. Oh! Thats bad.

6. PS - I'd have absolutely no problems dropping it either.

7. MelodiousThump

MelodiousThump

Jul 4, 2006
    Belt sander.

8. I like this part:::

In this case 'most guitarists' couldn't be anyone who can actually see, isn't in a certifiable coma, has at least one arm or an intelligent seeing eye dog.

9. Personal opinion only in saying that this reinforces my not-love of relic'ing in general.

10. Relic???

I propose renaming these examples as "AA" instruments.

AA standing for "attacked and abused" :ninja:

12. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Questionable? This not questionable at all. This is just wrong. Plain and simple.

13. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    I want papatom to become a recurring in-joke, like best bass for metal or Mothman bass or carrots.

Let's do this, people.

14. This fails hard

Attached Files:

15. PapaTom Relics - While You Wait

16. spiltcoil

spiltcoil Banned

Dec 13, 2010
    eh

17. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I clicked this thread just out of morbid curiousity. I'm also a huge fan (anti-guy) of NOT "relic'ing." I just don't get it. Beating the crap out of perfectly good and healthy wood, metal and electronics will not get you "that sound in your head."

Even if somehow you manage to pull off a convincing copy of a "Insert year, make and model of instrument" it's NOT. It's not worth crap, save the sum of it's parts and doesn't sound like a real, aged instrument. It's just mental masturbation.

Of course, if this is your thing (i.e. 25% of the TB population) then good for you. It is your money. YMMV. No disrespect intended; just airing my viewpoint.

ps
    This whole relic'ing thing has completely slain my faith of ANY old instrument advertised for sale actually being what the ad copy says it is. It's truly sad that in order to buy a real 30+ year old instrument, one has to resort to Carbon14 dating, as supervised by a panel of indpendent lawyers, historians and luthiers. Ripping off an artist of any kind should be a shootable offense.

18. but this is the best part:

Wonder how this guy pays the bills, in the end...

19. This, plus a monkey. Or too much gin.

Maybe both.