Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another quick jazz question

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by jaybo, Mar 14, 2003.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Sorry for all these jazz questions I've been posting lately. My teacher is strictly classical :meh: I'm learning anthropologies and I programmed the chord changes into band in a box and set the style for jazz swing. I noticed that the first time through the bass was playing with a 2 feel through the whole thing and then switched to quarters the second time through when the solo's start. Is this common practice or should I go with what the drummer does? The drummer I've been playing with plays the 8th's on the ride the first time through and in the solo's so it really doesn't sound right (to my ears) to play a two feel with that.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - it's pretty common in Jazz standards to play the head in a two feel and then go to four in the bar for the solos.

Although, you can switch between the two or maybe double time, straight Latin etc. - on agreement or a nod with the drummer - Jazz is all about collective improvisation and maybe something the soloist or pianist plays will suggest a change of feel - but usually if you and the drummer agree, then this is the most crucial thing.

3. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    Incidentally anyone know how to programme Band in a Box so it doesn't play 2 feel the first time through the chorus in a jazz style?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I missed the reference to a particular tune in the run-on sentences - which is quite funny really - I was just saying that I have often heard on record and in performance, Jazz tunes where the head is a two feel and then the solos start with four to the bar.

My second para. is just a condensed or shorter version of the rest of what you said!! ;)

5. wps

wps

Dec 7, 2001
    Georgetown, KY
    Bassbloke,

Right click on the measure number where you want a style change (this also functions as a section break). One right click should change the blue section marker to green. (A second click will remove the section marker, and a third will make it blue again.) For most jazz styles, the blue marker is a two feel and the green marker is a four feel. One thing I do a lot is to change from two to four for the bridge. For some styles blue is in straight 8's and green is swing 8's.

The default songs settings are to use the "green" style (four feel) for the middle choruses. If you open the song settings menu (the "S" button to the right of the song title), you have an option not to change style in middle choruses if for example you want to stay with the two feel throughout.

6. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Thanks Ed, I don't think the drummer has actually looked at the charts haha. Thanks for the ideas though, makes sense. Oops I used puncuation!

7. bassbloke

bassbloke

Feb 26, 2002
    UK
    wps

Thanks very much I'll check this out. Much appreciated.

8. Bruce and Ed are both right. Anthropology is really a four feel tune, but a great many jazz standards are OFTEN played in two for the head. Be bop in general is seldom played with a two feel. Sounds like your drummer needs some jazz lessons.