Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Read Purity Preamp review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fran Diaz, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Before I start to rave about the Purity Preamp let me say that Jack atention to detail and service since the first email I sent him inquiring about his preamp sold me on the Purity. Thanks a lot, Jack.

Now to what really matters: The Read Purity Preamp.

Contruction: Solid, elegant, functional. The pots feel so solid and smooth...ready for the road.

Electronics: I'd like to open the cover and check the cavity, but I don't want to void the warranty (5 years) so all I can say is that the noise is non existent both throught the output that goes to the power amp and through the DI.

Tone: You put your ear close to your bass and play it unplugged, then you plug the bass and play... that's what you hear, the tone is warm and deep but there is no coloration, hard to explain in words. I have the eq bypassed all the time, you get almost the same tone With the eq engaged and the controls set flat but with the eq bypassed the sound is more...alive I'd say.
    The emphasis knob is a must now that I have it...you want growl? turn it up to taste, your tone will cut through a wall of guitars like a knife through warm butter.
    The eq section is very well voiced. The boost only bass can make the bass rumble, but the lows are not boomy, the low mids can thicken the tone nicely and the tone with the high mids boosted remind me of the Aguilar tone (I don't have my old DB659 to A/B, so this is a very subjetive feeling). The highs can be turned up and never get harsh, but I'm not the best to talk about highs since I usually set them flat or turn them down. The deep and bright switchs are great. Turn both on and slap happy. You want instant bottom, use the deep sw. only.
    I've recorded a couple of tracks using the DI and the tone is warm and defined. love it.

Notes: I wanted to mention a couple of things that differ considerably from the Aguilar DB659:
    1- The output is hotter in the Purity preamp.
    2- For those who like overdriven tube tone, I've found that the overdrive is easier to control and more consistent in the Purity that it is in the Aguilar.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ditto Josh!

Frandiaz: how long did you have to wait for your Purity?

3. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    Ken,

I placed the order in late November, but I'm not a good reference (if you want to know the waiting time) because I told Jack that I would pick up the preamp in L.A. while visiting the family over there in March. The Purity was waiting for me when I arrived to L.A. on the 19th.

E-mail or call Jack, he's really fast answering questions.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

4. :D (that's what I look like everytime I turn mine on!)

Congrats Fran.

5. Jack was a lot of help to me too. I ordered mine in February.. it took a total of 8 weeks. Part of that time was spring break, so he was forced to stay with the kids that week.

6. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    congrats to you also. :p

It's not easy to sell a piece of gear that you like (my old DB659) to buy something that has not resale value (not when I bought it, now it's a different thing :D ) sight unseen, but I've been very lucky in the past and even more with the Purity.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Has anyone compared the Read preamp to the Demeter VTBP-201s?

8. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Uh oh...
    Looks like the Purity might be giving the DB 659 a run for its money. I'm in that market at the moment (posted a recent thread about it) so it's good to know.

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Any day...any day...any day...

Hopefully this week.

10. Fuzzbass

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on one (happy b-day to me! :) )

11. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Wow! Congrats Fuzz! Let us know what you think of it. Look forward to your review and comparison to other notable preamps. How long will it take to get one? Is the delivery time any shorter these days?

12. Happy B-day Fuzz!! I think you're going to like the purity!! Congrats to you. Can't wait to hear your review.!!

13. Fuzzbass

Thanks guys! According to Jack: "Current lead time is approximately 4-5 weeks and growing quickly". I hope it didn't grow too quickly between yesterday and today. :D

Thanks to Fran and others for posting very informative reviews. This pre seems to have everything I want in terms of features and quality. I'll post my own thoughts once I get it and gig with it.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Congratulations to all the Purity users out there!

All the descriptions sound yummy.

Maybe someday I can at least hear one.

Jack probably loves TB; word of mouth is serving him well here. :)

15. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    happy B-day Ken, you're gonna get a wonderful present. I'm looking forward to reading your review as well. I always like to know how others feel about the gear I like.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

16. Happy Birthday Fuzzy!

17. Fuzzbass

Special psychic pre-review for Josh: "The Read isn't better than an Alembic, it's just different". ;)

Fran, I know what you mean: I try to keep my reviews as objective as I can because taste can vary so widely.

Thanks for the wishes, all. I've lost track of how many 29th birthdays I've had... :bawl: :)