Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another reason DONOSAUR is the nicest guy in the world

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Ed Fuqua, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Last Saturday, Don brought his New Standard Cleveland Hybrid and Sue Lipkins bow by my teacher's studio, just so I could check it out. One of Joe's other students, Fred Pratt (who is selling a Strunal hybrid over in the FOR SALE area) fell by too. So we spent an hour or so taking turns playing, pizz and arco (well, some of us played arco, not me) and giving it quite a workout.
    Nice bass, nice hang, NICE GUY!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    That's all !?!? Spill it on the bass Mcfuqua...

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That sounds like fun. Damn! I'm too f***in' far from the rest of you guys.

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    +1

Do tell!

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    +1

And why didn't you tell me?

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There isn't really too much to tell. I'm in the middle of a quandary - I can spend +/- $2K to get JefeJEFF to do some work (new fingerboard, new bridge, new sound post, new tuners) OR I can sell my bass and get a carved New Standard Cleveland. So DONO kindly offered to let me check out his hybrid (since I had already played a ply Cleveland) to see if that helped.

The work I want to have done isn't absolutley necessary, nothing's falling apart. But for the long term health of the bass, it's gotta happen sometime.

So it wasn't really gonna be a big get-together, Fred just happens to be looking for a bass right now, too, so Joe gave him a shout. Don and I had a nice lunch afterward. But mea maxima culpa. Sorry, Ray. You gonna try and fall by Mike's gig at Birdland?

The things that I liked about the ply, I liked about the hybrid. It's a solid, well constructed instrument. It projects well, Joe's comment when playing arco was "there's a lot more sound left in here" no matter how hard he pushed it. The quality of the sound (and volume) remained very even everywhere on the instrument - going up the G string into thumb position, playing across the E string in TP, no loss of "oomph" anywhere. DONO had Spirocores on there, I think with Animas it would have even more of the qualities I like.

But I really like my bass and doing a few things that would improve the quality of sound and it's health would be great. It's just one way gotta come up with $2K outa thin air, the other I sell my bass for what it costs for this one...
    The thin

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Can't make Mike's gig -- gonna be busy....

That's a good bass that you have, and more importantly you love it. I'd hang on to it for now and save your pennies. Sometime the 'thin' comes outta nowhere on you.

8. It was nice to be in front of my bass and hear good players work out on it.

Ed sprung for lunch and parking, certainly 'beyond the call'.

Ed pretends to be Mr. New York, but he came here from Georgia. So after telling him about the rabbits and bullfrogs on my property, he thinks I eat for free.

Lest I forget, the man's chops just get better.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Pets or meat.