Another reason to buy used

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 18, 2004.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    As you may or may not know, Im always advocating buying used gear as an option, especially to younger/newer players. My usual rationale is that there is tons of great used gear out there, especially as a result of many players wanting the "latest greatest" amps, cabinets, etc. A while back SWR and Eden (to name a couple) were "it", but have since been eclipsed by aguilar, epifani, et al. That leaves an excellent used market for what are otherwise still top quality items.

I recently had to sell a bunch of redundant gear due to a minor financial setback. I bought all of it used at great prices. It was in great shape when i bought it, and is still in great shape. For the most part i was able to sell it for what i paid for it. I don't feel like i ripped anyone off, and i dont think they feel ripped off either. In fact, they generally seem to feel that they got great deals. I'd say they did, as the items were in great shape and sold at or below fair market prices for the items in question. Overall I'd say that i lost about 50 dollars on 1000 dollars resale value worth of gear. I certainly got my 50 dollars worth in terms of playing and recording time.
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm glad you brought this up. As you may have noticed, I'm occasionally the one following your posts to urge caution when buying used.

Everything you stated is true beyond any doubt. But two concerns are often present:

1) Younger/newer players may lack the experience needed to determine whether an item is flawed in some less-than-obvious way, and may even be unable to determine what a fair price for an item should be.

2) eBay fraud is absolutely rampant. I have found myself, on at least three occasions, assisting friends who sent their money off into the wild blue yonder, never to see the merchandise.

If the younger/newer player is buying used *locally*, and has the ability to tap into the experience of an older player for advice and assistance, this is a superb idea.

But, as in the purchase of any used item, "Let the buyer beware..." Research before you buy. And just as you'd take a used car to a mechanic before purchasing, have the gear inspected by an experienced person whom you trust before plunking down your money.

Best of luck recovering from your setback.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like used stuff. Most of my stuff is used, infact, all of it except my Essex bass, which was so cheap, i figured id buy it new.

Ebay is risky, but there was ways to make it less nerve wracking. I only buy from people with 100% feedback, and a good amount of feedback.
  4. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I'm still kinda new to bass playing, so I bought my bass used, but my amp new. I don't care if my amp (Yorkville XM200) isn't "in style", it's mine. I don't care about that, I just want a nice solid amp. And I have that.
  5. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    withs amps isn't a chance they will wear out alot faster
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amps could wear out faster, yes, but if they are taken care of and not abused, it shouldnt have too much effect. And speakers/cones are replaceable.
  7. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
  8. I feel ya. Bought my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ head and a Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x15 cab used , and have half-way paid off a used (but basically brand-new with added strap-locks) Conklin GT-7 (it plays and sounds like a dream...and a REALLY GOOD dream at that!) and the giant (no sh**ing, it's seriousley about 6' long!) indestructable (heavy duty carpet-covered plywood) road case for it, and have just sent payment for a used BOSS PS-3 Delay/Pitch-Shifter from a fellow TBer.

Buying used gear ROCKS!!! All-tube bass amps definitely aren't the style at all nowadays, and it seems 215's aren't particularly popular, but I saved a **** load of $$$$, and got a brutally powerfull tone-monster. The 215 is pretty worn and scratched, but hey, the less-than-stellar cosmetics saved me a bundle and a half.

This is a really interesting thread, because the prices lots of people pay for new (instead of used) gear is crazy, and like over half the used gear people sell is in brand-new condition, and if not, oh well, saves you even more bucks. And plus, you know when you buy used that you're helping someone else out :smug: .