Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another reason to call it Ticketbastard

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by relman, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Well, they now have affected Winnipeg, Canada, out of all cities. As many of you may know, The Pixies are beginning their reunion tour there, at the Burton Cummings Theater. 1600 seats, sold out in three minutes. My drummer, third in line after camping out all night didn't even get a ticket. Even better is that with the amount of personnel they had taking online/telephone purchases they could have sold it out in a minute and a half. Most of the buyers were from eastern Canada. Not even the third person in line could get a ticket.

is that fair to a community that's starving for good shows due to an idiotic increase in entertainment tax to artists that only seems to make money for our mayor's stupid spending ideas. It's the first time they come to Winnipeg. Ever. Possibly the last. When will this abuse for profit end?

Sincerely

One furious canuck

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    What was the other option for selling tix if TM was not involved?

-Mike

3. what do you mean? like another company? Select a Seat

I think they should have been sold straight through the theater.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's what I was getting at.

I have dealt with that frustration myself. What makes it even worse is when you pick-up your local newspaper and all the "ticket brokers" are selling those exact same seats you stayed up all night to buy. :(

-Mike

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Whenever the tickets stop selling. High prices and rapid sellouts show that the demand is there. Sure, I think $100+ tickets for shows are nuts but the acts charging that much are selling out all their shows.

6. Bull's eye by Brian. ;)

I know no one will listen to me, but I feel at least one third of the tickets (the best seats) should only be sold at the box office.

I hear you, Relman.

Mike

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sometimes the proletariat is lucky enough to get an actual ticket by waiting in line and paying for it, like the good old days.

The show is already "sold out" possibly because of a ticket broker(s). If that is the case, it's not really the market speaking, it's a broker(s) hedging bets that a "sell out" means a premium can to be charged to you to get any ticket(s) on the secondary market.

Scalping by another name.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats a lesson for you.

Just sit in front of your computer and do it that way next time.

Peace
    Nick

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I may be way off base here, but I have a feeling that TM is not alone to blame.

From the perspective all interested parties, including the Pixies, the best way to guarantee the success of the tour is to start with a sold out show. They'll get better write-ups in the papers, their other tour venues will be less likely to cancel, their sponsors will be happier, the record company will be more willing to give them a better contract in the event of a comeback album and Frank Black and Kim Deal don't have to go to their respective post-Pixies careers with the shroud of a failed reunion tour on their shoulders.

If Spinal Tap taught us nothing else - and it didn't - is that nobody likes to be on a bum tour.

Ticketmaster didn't force anyone to do business with them.

Sorry to be so cynical, but if there's blame to be dished out, make sure you spread it evenly.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Kind of. From what I understand, TM establishes relationships with many venues in cities. So, if your band wants to play the Blah-Blah Arena, you have to use TM since they are contracted with Blah-Blah Arena to distribute all tickets for events held there.

Isn't this what the boys in Pearl Jam were fighting with TM about a few years ago? I think PJ lost that battle too!

-Mike

11. P. Aaron

I think Pearl Jam kinda lost their audience too.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Meaning?

I dont see how fighting with TM could cause the band to lose its audience unless that meant jacked up ticket prices.

Peace
    Nick

13. I too am not a fan of ticketmaster. The one in the mall here in RI has a 12 dollar "convenience" fee. Fah, what a crock of crap if you ask me. Plus the whole phone/online thing is too shaky for me.

I think all tickets should be sold out of the venues.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats not such a great idea when the band is playing an hour an a half away or more.

A lot of the good concerts Ive been too were at least 2 hours away without traffic.

Peace
    Nick

15. i dunno about you, but we have ticketmaster offices crawling everywhere here. Theres a station at my local mall and I can just walk up to it when the mall opens and get what I want.

But yeah, computers are faster with ordering (except for the heinous "convenience charge" they give you. Convenient for them, I guess.

16. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    I feel like I should chime in as I worked for TM in Australia for 3 years. We were a pretty different operation than TM in the States as we were a former State Goverment monopoly that was sold off to TM.

The first point I would make is that because we are all so used to it, you forget how convenient it is to have a large network of places at which to buy your tickets. Nick Man has a good point about getting tickets to something a couple of hours drive away. Additionally, most venues (certainly over here) are woefully under-equipped to deal with large on-sales. If they were equipped properly, well then, they'd be ticketing agencies wouldn't they? ;)

Additionally, the infrastructure required to run a ticketing agency like TM (even in Oz on a much smaller scale than the US) is heinously expensive. Call-centres, huge telco charges, etc etc.
    I often used to wonder how we could survive charging as little as we did.

Not saying you guys don't necessarily have a valid complaint. Just remember that there's always two sides to the equation.

*edited for typos*

17. Why are some bands charging so much nowadays anyway?

Why should I pay 100 dollars to see metallica when I can pay 20 bucks and see several dozen other bands at warped tour (some better than metallica imo) for only $20?

18. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England

As mentioned earlier in the thread: Because they can. :meh:

19. P. Aaron

What I meant was that Pearl Jam got in their own way trying to do things themselves in relation to ticket distribution.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Oh I see.

In a way I think it might have drawn their real fans closer and the people that just wanted to jump around farther. Then again I dont know much about any of this.

That must have been a short lived episode as the last time I bought tickets for a PJ concert (about a year ago) I went to a Specs music and purchesed them through their TM service.

Peace
    Nick