(Another) Recommend Me a Five String Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verycoolname, Jul 29, 2013.

1. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    [SUB]Disclaimer: this is NOT a "best bass for metal" thread. ;)[/SUB]

I know, I know, we all hate these threads, but I'm in need of advice from the TB community.

I'm looking for a five string bass, after playing exclusively four string basses for my seven year bass "career." I've decided at the ripe old age of seventeen that it's time to buy a five string bass. Why you ask? Well...
    • I figure if I want to progress as a bassist I'll have to learn to play a five string (since it's used in a lot of music)
    • I've always been intrigued by a five string bass
    • I'm starting to write my own lines that could use a B string/lower tunings
    And, the most pressing issue...
    • A friend of mine wants me to play bass in his metal band

He thinks it's "kinda cool" to have a "chick bassist" in a metal band, plus he knows I'm pretty good and his metal band is in need of a bass player...

...that being said, metal is not my choice genre. I mostly play punk and some indie/alt rock stuff, as well as bluegrass, and gospel music for my church. So, I'm looking for something that'll be useful in those applications as well (if the metal band fails I don't want to be without a use for the 5er).

The criteria...
    • I'm open to new and used basses
    • Prefer active electronics (or passive pups with active EQ)
    • Less than about $500-$600 (I'm willing to save more though)
    • I'd prefer a 34 inch scale
    • I don't like chunky necks, so the thinner/more comfortable the better

I've been looking at Ibanez Soundgear 5ers (I already have an Ibanez 4 string, and I dig the neck), but I'm open to other brands as well.

2. MIM Fender Jazz 5. I play everything ever on it.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Used Carvin LB75

4. Since you like the Ibby's neck, check out an SR505 for sure. I have the SR506 six string and really like it.

Play a bunch of options though. Happy hunting!

5. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    I have considered this option heavily, since I could mod it to my needs (if I felt like it).

I've heard a lot about Carvin on TB, but I've never seen/played one...can you explain the recommendation?

An SR505 was my top option...

And thank you! :bassist:

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Brubaker Brute 100% meets the needs you listed. Sounds like the PERFECT bass for you.

The biggest difference in the Brute and the other basses listed so far is that is has normal 19mm string spacing as opposed to narrow spacing for the others. I can't stand narrow spacing, some people can't stand normal spacing (it's the same spacing as a 4 string has) so check out a few for sure.

Also look into the Sterling Ray35 and G&L L2500 if you like the narrow spacing.

7. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you, I'll check it out! And I've given the SBMM some though, but not the G&L, but I'll add it to the list.

8. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Consider a used G&L L-2500 tribute. Great and some aggressive sounds can be had from them.

Now if you want to do some mods the bass everyone that owns an expensive bass is afraid of... the Squier Affinity 5 string. It's a crazy good platform to mod on and dirt cheap. New $200 used $100 or less.

Buy some CTS pots and some used pickups in the classified and if you don't look at the logo you'll swear your playing an expensive bass.

9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Second recommendation for the G&L, I'll be sure to look at it.

And my first bass was a Squier Affinity P...totally turned me off to the brand, but I'm sure the quality has increased since 2005/2006.

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Check out the Schecter Studio Stilletto 5 @ GC... If you like it then check out the one in my sig.. :cool:

:smug: (Shameless shameless plug...)

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Great quality, American made, neck through, ebony fretboard for a third of the price of what it was new. It's an active bass with 5 strings that's made really well, plays and sounds great. Used carvin in general is the best bang for your buck, in my humble opinion.

12. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    I actually have been looking at that particular model...hmm.

Thank you, sir! Sounds like something worth looking into.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    It is hard to go wrong with a H S stingray 5 string bass.

The bongo 5 is an excellent player if you can get past the looks.

Ibanez makes 5ers from cheap to expensive and everything in between.

I don't like the preamps on Schecters, but the necks are nice.

Fenders are nice but they make better 4 bangers then 5 sting basses.

Warwicks are good but the necks are kind of thick.

Carvin basses are usually nice players and I like their preamps.

Spectors are liked a lot on this site.

As for me I like to build 5 stringed frankensteined parts basses. Some turn out great and some not so great.

Walk into a few local music stores and play some 5 string basses and see what you think.

14. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    1) I would like a 5 string Sterling (or even a Bongo) but it's not reasonably in my price range (right now).

2) Yeah, Ibanez is pulling ahead, but I'd like to try something different.

3) Friend of mine has a 4 string Schecter that I feel "meh" about, mostly because of the tone/preamp (like you said). I did dig the neck though.

4) Agreed.

5) Je n'aime pas chunky necks...but I've heard Warwick is nice.

6) Another vote for Carvin...I will look for some on eBay.

7) I like the idea of a Spector, but from my understanding the necks are a bit thicker? Maybe I'm wrong?

8) Your basses look awesome...but I'm not that skilled.

9) Yep, planning on making a trek as soon as I can!

I think I've narrowed it down to a SBMM Ray35, an Ibanez (SR500, most likely), Carvin, and the G&L 2500 that was mentioned. Might look more into Spector/Schecter.

15. HunterBurgan4Me

HunterBurgan4Me

Mar 6, 2010
    I have a MIM fender jazz V which cost about £700 in our Uk monies. It works great in metal, put it through a ampeg svt7 with a darkglass B3K and it sounds awesome. One negative is that unless you slap the pickup selector will stay central most of the time. The active electronics sound great though, means I can tweak things onstage without looking unprepared.

However I wish I had bought a musicman 5 string instead. Similar price and my playing style seems to get on really well with them (used one from a friend doing some recording).

However the Jazz does me fine, not worth getting the musicman yet for a bit of feel difference and just a bit more punch.

16. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    Search the forum and read about them and play one if you can, the playability is great and if you change the electronics and are a savvy shopper you can have $200-$250 into a great playing and sounding bass that you aren't afraid to jump around and (accidentally of course) hit things with.

If you don't want to mess around with mods, the L2500 is a beast for the $$ and you can get a lot of great tones out of them if you take some time learning what they can do.

17. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the tip! I want to (eventually) mod a cheap, used Squier, but I don't feel like tackling it right now.

I'm looking seriously at the G&L, the Blueburst looks sweet, and all the reviews of it are good.

18. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    The Ibanez SR505 is a great bass. If you can swing it look at the SR1205, it is an amazing bass. The Nordstrand pickups really make the bass.

I also like the G&L basses. They are an excellent value, however try one first. The necks are chunkier than the Ibby necks so it is best to see if they suite you first. But they're fantastic players.

Good luck with your quest.

19. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Thank you very much, sir! I do not think I will be splurging for an SR1205 at this point, though I do really, really want an SR1200. There's an SR505 for sale in the classifieds for $300 right now...might jump on it. I'm liking the idea of sticking with what I'm comfortable with.

No one near me sells G&L basses, which is why I'm hesitant to buy one. I don't mind a little chunkier than an Ibby (like the thickness of my Jazz) but I don't want "baseball bat" thick.

20. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Canada
    That's a great price for an SR505. As for the G&L L2500 I tried, it was a bit more heftier than a Jazz but not uncomfortably so.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021