(Another) Recommend Me a Five String Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by verycoolname, Jul 29, 2013.

1. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, that's what I thought too...might jump on it. And thanks for the description, maybe it's not for me...

2. lionanimagus

lionanimagus

Jul 11, 2009
    ESP basses will do wonders for your situation. The B-series is exceptionally versatile! I played a b-105 for a long time and played a wide range of genres on it (gospel to metal) and it worked to perfection. They have thin necks and are pretty cost effective.

3. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I haven't felt anything thinner than an Ibanez. Great necks.

I like G&L. I have a Fender V and I would choose G&L over Fender any day. G&L 5 string necks are more narrow at the nut than Fender 5 string necks.

4. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Gotta say, I'm really digging the look (and price) of this one...
    [​IMG]

[SUB]Sorry for the size...[/SUB]

Indeed, they are splendid.

And I feel like I'd prefer G&L to Fender, but maybe just for a four string.

5. lionanimagus

lionanimagus

Jul 11, 2009
    Indeed! I forgot how metal the F series appears. But trust me, you can get some pretty warm and full sounds out of them.

6. I don't even know what you look like and I'm already picturing you all in black with that bass and looking AWESOME.

That really is a beautiful instrument, although more metal than punk. Still, so pretty I imagine you're willing to use it anywhere.

7. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Geez...I know that people will get worked up about this, but you've got some cash to spend...don't waste it on a Squier. G&L is a good option. Keep in mind that people are talking about the Tribute line, which are imports but nice basses. The US versions are out of your current price range. You said you're willing to save more. If this is more of a "lifetime" purchase and you're not in a big hurry, consider saving another $600. A lot of options once you have $1200-$1400 or so. If you don't care about that, there are still a lot of nice basses in your price range.

8. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Haha, thanks. I showed it to my friend (the guitarist) and he said it looked pretty sweet. It does look really nice...I wouldn't use it for punk (or bluegrass...), but it's so cheap I wouldn't mind buying it just for the novelty of having a "metal" bass.

9. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    It's not a "lifetime" purchase, because realistically I don't know how the band's going to work out, and I'm more comfortable with a 4 string anyway.

As for my budget, I actually have $4000 saved up, but I'm going to college in the fall of 2014, so I'm saving a good chunk for books and whatnot, plus my car needs repairs...:( I'm keeping it in the <$600 range for now because (realistically) bass playing (and this band) is a hobby, and I have other expenses that are more pressing. Most I would spend right now is like $1200 on a bass (and even then it would be a 4 string).

10. boristhespider9

boristhespider9

Sep 9, 2008
    Sounds like you have your priorities straight....

11. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Unfortunately, haha! :D I would be more than happy to spend all my hard earned money on basses (and amps...and effects pedals...;)), but it wouldn't be quite "practical."

College=GAS killer :spit:

12. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    How about tuning your 4 string to BEAD for the metal band?:D

If you go that route, check out Circle K strings.

13. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Considered it...there's actually a Spector in the classifieds right now that's tuned BEAD...hmmm...

I'm still very tempted by the SR505 for $300...but, I also just tweeted a picture of the purple ESP bass and one of my friends (who plays bass, mostly in his HS jazz band) said he has a 4 string ESP and loves it.

14. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Necks on the Fender 5 strings are GIANT! Try a Warwick Rock Bass, which had the best neck I have ever played for a 5er. You can get one used for $350

If you want to stay with a Fender style, The G&L L-2500 has a smaller neck and closer string spacing.

The BEAD 4 string method is easy and will work on most 4 string basses, and will take care of most metal needs. I have several BEAD basses. Way easier to play.

The ESP LTD that you are looking at has a very nice neck, although the "F" series is 35 inch. Try a "B" series LTD.....

15. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks for the tip! I was staying away from Fender for that reason.

The BEAD tuning option is appealing to me more and more...because if I end up not liking the band I can just get lighter gauge strings (and possibly a new nut) and have a back up four string.

And I didn't see that particular specification (must of skipped over it), so thanks for pointing it out! I'm liking the looks of the stain black B series Sweetwater has in their gallery. My aversion to extended scale basses is the idea that they'll be "more difficult" or "less comfortable" to play...can anyone refute that? I occasionally play a DB in my bluegrass band, so I'm starting to think scale is a minimal issue.

16. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I mean, if the metal band doesn't seem like a committed long term thing and you want to save money, why not just buy new strings for BEAD tuning?

If I were you, I would hold off on buying a 5 string and save up for a nice one later on.

17. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    True...thanks for the sound advice.

That being said, I was GASing for a 5er before the metal band thing came up...now I just have an actually application for it. And it's not that it's "non-committal"...I like metal enough (though it is not my genre of choice), and I'm glad to help my buddy out (even if it's just recording some songs for his EP).

I guess I'm looking for something that's "applicable in a metal band" but not something that I'll use in other bands. I have no problem buying a bass (I make my own money, and since music is my main hobby it won't be a "waste")...

Like I said in the original post, I'm starting to write my own lines etc. that could use a low B. I think it's a good decision to get a five string, but I'm limiting my budget just in case (just the kind of person I am I guess).

...or maybe I'm just over thinking things.

18. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Stop following the crowd and start leading and become a trend setter. The new Brubaker Brutes are affordable and have killer tonal capabilities and you won't be playing on what everyone else has. They come with a coil splitter for the MM pickup. A very, very comfortable neck, well balanced and just plain awesome for the money. Of course this is my opinion but I love my Brutes so much that I'm having a custom made from scratch Brubaker KXB-5 made for me.

19. verycoolname

verycoolname

Jan 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Excellent sales pitch. :D Actually the second recommendation for Brubaker in this thread. I'll look into it a bit more.

20. lionanimagus

lionanimagus

Jul 11, 2009
    My esp was a 34 scale and my new traben is a 35 scale. The only difference i can feel is that the B is less floppy. Honestly, I think its a bit easier to play that way. But that just depends on the individuals hands and technique

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021