1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Reverb Tale....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sflajimmy, Dec 6, 2019.

1. sflajimmy

sflajimmy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    I just recently sold my Fender American original 50's PBass on Reverb after posting here and getting no action on the sale. The bass delivered yesterday and the buyer messages me that he is disappointed because I listed the bass as mint cond. and that it had scratches and a paint chip that were not in the description....I bought the bass from a music store and it was listed as a demo in excellent condition. I had it in my house for a year and rarely used it because I did not care for the neck on it. I never dropped it or hit it on anything and it mostly stayed in the case. My bad for posting it in the wrong condition and I took responsibility for listing the condition as mint incorrectly. I posted good pics of the bass and the only issues on it where a small indentation in the upper horn which I described. I get a follow up message that he wants to settle the issue by me giving him a $100 refund. The selling price was a great deal. Of course I expected to lose money on the bass. I feel like this guy is shaking me down for a $100 refund. I requested that he send me pics of the damage. I took a video of the bass as I was packing it so I hope he has some compelling pictures. Even then it would be a damage claim from FedEx. I have not received them yet (the pics). My first inclination was to just eat the $100 and move on, but I don't care for someone damaging my credibility at all as he probably will via feedback. Reverb is aware and they are of course advising us to work this out. Any thoughts on this or anyone have a similar experience? My rating on here is spotless but unfortunately this is my first and possibly last on Reverb.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  2. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    How are you taking responsibility for posting it in mint condition when it wasn't in that condition? It seems that a partial refund is the only fair way to take responsibility for it.

But, that doesn't mean $100 is fair. Make him a counter offer. Maybe $50 is fair.

3. bhendrix

bhendrix

May 2, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    +1

4. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

If your picture accurately showered the condition of the bass, it's his fault for not looking and them and only paying attention to the listed condition. If your pictures weren't accurate then you made two mistakes and should rectify it.

5. Yeah, I think “taking responsibility” is more than just saying it. You owe him some cash. A counter is reasonable. Offer $50 and maybe he’ll agree to split the difference.

Put yourself in his shoes. He expected a mint bass.

6. sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    It wasn't intentional or meant to be misleading. I made a mistake in judgement. It was Demo and that alone would preclude it from being mint. I was not trying to deceive any buyers. I noted the indent.

Mike Whitfield and Glenn Johnson like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yup. If you listed something as mint when you knew it had scratches and a paint chip, about all you can do is agree to a refund. Otherwise, you deserve to get dinged. Mint means like new.

8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I’ve only had two issues with online sales. The first I thought might be legitimate (turned out it wasn’t) and the second I thought was a purely bogus ploy - and I was right.

In both cases I offered to send a call tag for a return pickup and offered a full refund once I got it back.

I’ve found it’s seldom worth getting into price negotiation games post sale. That IME is where the bulk of the game playing scams go down. Nor is it worth fighting over return shipping. My policy has always been: You’re not happy - send it back.

Bottom line - get your gear back, return the money, and move on.

9. sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    That is exactly how I responded at first. I offered a full refund. Then he came back with the take $100 off ploy.

Glenn Johnson likes this.
  10. sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    I did NOT know it had scratches and a paint chip, the bass was in the same condition as the day I took delivery of it. He claims that. I offered him a full refund and he countered.

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Sorry, I misread. Hopefully he will provide photos of an area where you have a photo.

12. sflajimmy

Nov 6, 2005
    South Florida
    It's cool. In all my years of buying and selling basses I've never had an issue. Law of averages just caught up with me. I will gladly take the bass back and relist it as long as it's in the same shape I shipped it in.

SirMjac28 and Glenn Johnson like this.
  13. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    USA, Phoenix, AZ
    Offer $50. If it ends up being $100 anyway that would be an expensive learning experience but a cheap price to keep your top rating intact. Businesses go thru this crap all the time. Yes you posted a pic of the damage...right? So next time, once the deal is made, remind the buyer of any defects or damage before shipping

Mike Whitfield and Glenn Johnson like this.
  14. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    You might be willing to take it back and relist but I bet that the return shipping (to you) plus reshipping to a new owner will cost you at least that and likely more. Plus, you’ll have to list the damage which may drive down your price a bit.

Settle, be done and move on. :)

15. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    If it were a $2k+ bass I would see $100, otherwise, $50-$70 is what I would offer and no more. He likely isnt going to use the money to get it fixed, he just wants to take advantage of the situation to knock some money off what you say is already a good deal. And with additional damage that was not there when you shipped it, you would need to get the shipping company involved...actually, HE would. I would remind him of that and offer him $50 or so and move on. If he wants to stand firm, tell him to ship it back and get shipping co involved to cover additional damage.

16. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Hate to say, but it is cheaper to give him the $100 and take a lesson learned. You listed it as mint. The pics may or may not tell a different story, but at the end of the day it's your mistake and you're going to take a hit on it. Might as well cut your losses and move on. Bad thought, but who is to say he won't add some extra 'mojo' to it while packing it up for its ride back to you?

17. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    I am very cautious about the condition of items when selling. Usually I under value the condition and over deliver. Unless that thing is brand new, I will not call it mint. The highest I go is excellent. Mint is pretty concrete, excellent is somewhat subjective.

bdgotoh, Mike Whitfield, Beej and 5 others like this.
  18. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Part of the problem...some of the people look at the listings on their smartphones so often can't make out any small detail in the pictures. I was on the road one time and saw a deal I couldn't pass up. Looked at the pictures, bass was listed in "very good condition", bought it and when I went home the following day, took a close look at my purchase on my bigger screen computer and only then noticed it had a pretty sizeable ding (not a chip) on the corner of the bass, I didn't see it clearly on my cell phone. My fault for not noticing it on my smart phone, and I didn't fault the seller one bit as the bass was in otherwise very good condition as stated, ding didn't bother me too much. The thing is, if you list an item as "mint condition", there's little less room for interpretation there, the buyer may not see it in the picture, but if the seller listed as an item as mint, it's universally assumed to be virtually flawless (not perfect, but not chipped either). If there's any damage, ding or flaw, even a small one then maybe "very good" condition might be a more apt description. Hate to say it, but I'd try to negotiate a $50 refund and leave it at that.
    Some buyers specifically look for Mint instruments and well, the expectation is that it is in absolute mint condition. I've sold over 90 instruments myself now, and never do I list something as mint-usually "very good" or in excellent used condition would be the most I would rate it. Sometimes buyers are often surprised that it's in like near mint condition, but better to pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

19. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    100% incorrect sir. It is the shipper that purchased the insurance when shipping. Thus, it is the shipper that has to deal with the hassle of the claim. I.e. yet another reason to settle this and be done with it.

20. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Your call. In my case both times the items were exactly as I photographed and described them. So I wasn’t inclined to negotiate. But if you feel there was a possible discrepancy in your description, it might be better to work something out.

Rabidhamster and Mike Whitfield like this.