Another Reverend question, I'm afraid...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ionic Eye, May 13, 2002.

1. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Gang; I just discovered this site, and just registered; what a knowledgeable-seeming group of people! Quite exciting, I must say. Anyway, my question is this: I've read the posts about the Reverend basses and the Brad Houser 5 (which is what I am planning on getting), but I'm still left wondering this: Are these basses "blues basses", or can they cover rock music? I'm starting a project the music of which will be live-performance oriented; the music will cover the extremes dynamically-speaking, from soft atmospherics to huge walls of killer distortion; would the Reverend be a good or appropriate choice for this type of music? I am very impressed with what I've learned about Reverends, but I wonder if their "vintage-vibe" precludes them from use in today's more aggressive rock music. Thanks for any responses! (p.s.: I've just bought an SWR Mo' Bass, and plan on getting a couple Nemesis or Ashdown cabs.) Matt
  2. Hey Matt,
    Welcome aboard!
    And, to answer your question: Yes!
    I've been using a Reverend 4-string as my main bass for three years, and the bulk of it has been playing heavy rock, going up against Marshall stacks and 100-watt Line 6 combos and loud drummers. The Reverend can handle it all. And with its pickups and electronics, the Brad Houser must be the ballsiest of all Reverend basses! Of course, having a suitably loud rig is important too, and it sounds like you do.
    I would go full speed ahead and get that bass!
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Can you use a regular old passive Fender P or J for modern rock?

In your opinion what characteristics must a bass for modern rock have?

Answer those two and that will give you the answer to your question.
  4. that's the same question i asked dave siff before i bought my reverend. believe me, he's right. reverends can be beastly.