Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Reverend question, I'm afraid...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ionic Eye, May 13, 2002.

1. Ionic Eye

Ionic Eye

May 13, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Hey, Gang; I just discovered this site, and just registered; what a knowledgeable-seeming group of people! Quite exciting, I must say. Anyway, my question is this: I've read the posts about the Reverend basses and the Brad Houser 5 (which is what I am planning on getting), but I'm still left wondering this: Are these basses "blues basses", or can they cover rock music? I'm starting a project the music of which will be live-performance oriented; the music will cover the extremes dynamically-speaking, from soft atmospherics to huge walls of killer distortion; would the Reverend be a good or appropriate choice for this type of music? I am very impressed with what I've learned about Reverends, but I wonder if their "vintage-vibe" precludes them from use in today's more aggressive rock music. Thanks for any responses! (p.s.: I've just bought an SWR Mo' Bass, and plan on getting a couple Nemesis or Ashdown cabs.) Matt

2. Hey Matt,
    Welcome aboard!
    And, to answer your question: Yes!
    I've been using a Reverend 4-string as my main bass for three years, and the bulk of it has been playing heavy rock, going up against Marshall stacks and 100-watt Line 6 combos and loud drummers. The Reverend can handle it all. And with its pickups and electronics, the Brad Houser must be the ballsiest of all Reverend basses! Of course, having a suitably loud rig is important too, and it sounds like you do.
    I would go full speed ahead and get that bass!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Can you use a regular old passive Fender P or J for modern rock?

In your opinion what characteristics must a bass for modern rock have?

Answer those two and that will give you the answer to your question.

4. that's the same question i asked dave siff before i bought my reverend. believe me, he's right. reverends can be beastly.