Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Rickenbacker question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jun 5, 2002.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I saw a used 1979 Rick for 1149.00 on consignment by an employee of the music store. It's got some dings in the finish and some wear on the back.

Is that a fair price or what? High, low? I was thinking about offering him $800 and seeing if his head spins around. What do you all think? Thanks.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I picked up a '81 in similar condition last year for $350 (I think it was), but that was a particularly good deal. For an average condition one, I'd think the $600-$700 range would be more like it - but I'm a cheap mofo.

3. That's definitely high. I saw a very beat up 70's Rick (we're talking seriously beat up, but it had serious mojo to go with it!) for $800 Canadian here. My 2001 Rick 4003 was $1800 CDN new, so $1149 USD for a somewhat beat up '78 seems high. I agree with HeavyDuty's assesment - $6-700.

--jeff

4. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    What a joke. Sounds like someones' tryin' to rip a nw one in somebody.I got a '01 4003 Jetglow at MARS in June '01 for $950.

5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    The guy called me this afternoon and he said he would go down to $900. I offered $500 cash and he is supposed to call me back if and when it drops off consignment in a few weeks. The good thing is he has it priced pretty high so hopefully no one will buy it.

Are the 70s Ricks better or worse than any other decade or are they all just good? Thanks everyone.

6. I find it really varies. You have to try lots and if it screams "I'm the one!", get it. Mine was made in 2001, and it is my favourite Rick, sound and feel, I have ever played. I've played around 25 Ricks in the past two years or so and they've all seemed pretty nice, save for one or two dogs, but mine just stands out to me. You've gotta find one that stands out for you.

--jeff

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Sounds pricey for a Rick with dings and wear. That could be the price of a near mint one, though. There's more and more demand on 70's 4001's.

Depending on the number and size of dings, I guess anyway I wouldn't offer more than $ 750. If you can get it for $ 500, pick it up in a heartbeat !

All the best,

8. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'll throw my $0.02 in the ring and say I think the asking price is rediculous. Unless you play it and you feel that you must have it......I wouldn't pay more than $700. You can pick up a new 4003 (with warranty of course) for in the low to mid $900's if you look around a little. I see used 4003's and 4001's with some wear and tear turn up for $500-$600 on a regular basis. If he takes your offer for $500 I'd say as long as it is solid and plays well it is a good deal.
    Good Luck........

9. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What's the difference between 4001s and 4003s?

10. This has been documented in a billion other places, but the 4003 has two truss rods. RIC claimed that the single rod in the old system was not strong enough to support the tension of modern roundwound strings.

--jeff

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i have a '70 4001. it has 2 truss rods and it's equipped with roundwound. no troubles with the neck.

12. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Ok, so how does your 1970 4001 have 2 truss rods?? Is it a 4003 neck?

13. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    AHHHHHHH! How are we ever going to kill the legend that "4001 has one truss rod, 4003 has two"?!?!? Maybe I need to have Snopes.com put up a page about it...

The 4001 *always* had a double truss rod, Rickenbacker simply changed the design somewhat when the 4003 came out!

14. Yipes! So let me get this straight. 4001 and 4003, both double truss rods... but the 4003 has double expanding truss rods?

--jeff

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hmmmm. Not sure about that, but could be. I've hard it was a substantial change, though, and made the 4003 neck better suited for roundwounds.

A 4001 can handle rounds or other high-tension strings just fine - just don't try to flatten the neck when it's under string tension! The "official" way is to detune, manually straighten the neck, and snug the nuts down - don't just crank away on the nuts like you can do with a Fender neck or a 4003.

I place the headstock and the upper foot or so of the neck on the table facing up and let the rest of the bass hang in midair - the weight of the bass does all the work. I can't remember where I read that, but it works like a charm!

16. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Both the 4001 and 4003 have "expanding dual truss rods" in them. The main difference is that the metal rods used in the 4001 were considered "soft". Therefore if you put heavy gauge round wound strings on it, the neck could bend. If the rods bent to much because of the excessive tension put upon them, they could pop the fretboard off the neck of the bass.
    If you popped the fretboard, Rickenbacker would not warranty the repair. Since all 4001 basses were shipped with flatwound strings on them from the factory, that was the "recommended" type of replacement string. Rickenbacker didn't sell roundwound strings during the 70's, only flatwounds.
    This whole "you can't put roundwound strings on a Ric 4001" thing is a load of crap. Yes, this did happen a few times, but it was not as common as people think it was. It's true the 4001 was not designed to handle the excessive tension created by heavy gauge strings. So they redesigned the rods and used harder metal to accomodate any gauge of strings (and tension) and reintroduced the bass as the 4003. This was marketing on Rickenbacker's behalf. It also gave them the opportunity to make minor changes to the bass that they had wanted to make but were unable to up until that time.
    This statement has been blown way out of proportion over the past 30 years. Rickenbacker's competitors have had a field day with this.
    I personally only use roundwound strings on my 72 4001, and i've never had a neck problem. I recommend 45-105 max.
    Find a 4001 or 4003 that you like, then buy it. You won't be sorry.
    Cheers,

17. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Not all 4001's had double truss rods. 4001's had a single truss rod 'til late 60's/early 70's.

18. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Not!

The double truss rods are even mentioned in Ric's 1957 catalog announcing the 4000! I am convinced all normal production 4000 series basses have double truss rods - I'm not sure about the 20x0 series, the 3000 series or the doublenecks.

19. Fascinating! Now i'm dying to check out some older Ricks...

Thanks for the info!

--jeff

20. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    This is awesome. I'm getting so much cool info on this. Keep it coming guys.

Would a 4001 neck be able to take stringing it with a light 5-string set of strings minus the high G? Or would I be better off just using standard 4-string sets and tuning them down?

Thanks.