another rig recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hiros, Jan 26, 2005.

1. hiros

Jan 12, 2005
    Just switched to bass after years of playing guitar. Picked up a 60's reissue Jazz Bass and need to start trying out amps.

I'm playing in a 50's-60's rock cover band and looking to buy a new head (I'm borrowing a 1x15" cab) or combo rig for rehearsal and gigs (small to mid sized clubs).

I play both fingerstyle and with a pick, very little slap and pop. Solid and steady is my style. I would like to avoid any rigs that sound too hi-fi and anything over $800 street price.

My favorite bass tones:
    - Meshell Ndegeocello
    - Sting
    - Tony Levin
    - Paul McCartney
    - Adam Clayton
    - Jaco

Bass tones I would like to avoid:
    - Michael Manring
    - Chris Squire
    - Marcus Miller

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    For under $800 you could get an Ampeg b100r combo and a Sansamp DI pedal. You could run the Sansamp in front of the Ampeg with the DI going to the front of house PA if one is available. This is the setup I have been running lately and it works out great and very portable. You'd probably have enough left over for a tuner that you could put before the Sansamp and mute your signal pre-DI to tune silently between songs or whatever.
  3. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Avatar has great cabs for a good price, and with that $400 left over for even the most expensive cab you could find a decent amp on ebay or shop around for used equipment.

I found an old Peavy Preamp and an Peavy Power amp in the corner of my music center that could be had together for less that 400.