Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another rig thread, courtesy of moi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snarf, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Some may remember my thread about possible rigs for going to school at Berklee. The consensus was I should wait and see what my playing situation is like. Well, it turns out that I'm now in two serious bands, and one will be gigging within the month. So a rig of some kind now seems to be inescapable. The one that will be gigging soon is a funky jazz-rock band (think Steely Dan only a little jazzier), and the other band is a Tower of Power and Earth Wind & Fire cover band.

The biggest contendor I have for an amp now is the Hartke Model 3000 head (http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--HTK3000). As for the cab, that's where my quandary lies. I was totally sure up until now that I wanted a 210. But now I'm seriously thinking just a 115 cab will be what I need. That funk band is going to need lots of bottom, and I don't know if a 210 will do that at the volume I want.

Opinions, please. And the only brand I'm really considering for the cab is Dr. Bass.

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    That seems pretty reasonable, especially if you dont have a bottomless budget.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Which will be reasonable? The 210 or 115?

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I would recomend SWR.
    If you can try and get a used swr sm-500 along with a goliath III.

SWR has been quite notorious for r&b, and funk type bands.

-Rob

5. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Not a half hour ago I ordered my first 'serious' rig. 589 for a 307 watt Ashdown Mag 300H and an Avatar 212. Try Avatar.

6. I never liked 1x15's as stand-alone... and neither 2x10's...
    2x12 is a better option:
    dr.Bass BL 212 ?

[​IMG]

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

+1000!!!

If I don't have enough money saved up when I purchase my rig, but have enough for some dr bass gear I would definetly get it.

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Go across the street to Daddy's. Last time I was in there they had a GK400RBiii with an Ampeg 410. I was pleasently surprised when I plugged in. I sounded incredible. If they're still there than talk them down.

If that doesn't work out call my buds Corey and Justin over at Rockcityguitars in Somerville. They always have used stuff kickin around.

9. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
  10. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Coolness, I'll have to take another look across the street.

As for the people recommending Avatar, they're too heavy. And even Dr. Bass 212's would be too heavy. Also consider that I live in the dorms, in a very small triple. I don't have room for a larger rig, nor do I have the strength to deal with it. It's going to have to be a 115, 210, or a 112 I'm afraid. A 112 would be sweet, if it could handle the big thumpy lows, but I'm doubting it could, which is why I'm kind of leaning toward the 115.

Does anyone know what power the Model 3000 will push at 8 ohms? Hartke doesn't say, and their tech support doesn't answer emails.

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hey man, I'm heading to Somerville tomorrow to go over to Rockcity Guitars. I'll let you know if I see anything over there.

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Just saw this add at www.bassgear.com:

FOR SALE: Aguilar GS 1-12 (2)
    Posted: : 09/23/2005
    Category: Bass Cabs
    Condition: Excellent
    Asking Price: $250.00

2 Aguilar GS 1-12's. (These are not the same 2 we posted earlier this week). No issues.
    $250.00 + shipping, no trades.

FULL NAME: Bob
    PHONE: 866-674-1646
    CITY, STATE: detroit
    EMAIL: lowdownsound1@sbcglobal.net
    SEE PICTURE: http://www.msnusers.com/aguilar112

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm going to recommend an Avatar 115 or 210 with their special deal on the Mag. You could get the Neo cabs and that would save a ton of weight, plus the special deal heads are the best prices on them you will see new. I wouldn't go with a Hartke head, unless you have worked extensively with one and like it a lot. And even then, you can get em dirt cheap in a special Avatar deal. www.avatarspeakers.com