ANOTHER Rob Allen ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by notduane, Feb 21, 2001.

1. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Hear me out now (after all, I'm "elite" :p )

Anyhoo, here's what I wuz thinkin'. A while back, I put Thomastik-Infeld AB344
    "Acousticores" on my Rob Allen (schweeeet :D ).

Even further back, I was noodlin' the notion of settin' up a four stringer B-E-A-D.
    I couldn't help notice that there's a 5 string set of Acousticores and the B is 118.
    My R/A shipped with Labella 760N's which have a 115 E. I swapped those for
    some Rotosound RS88-LD's, also with a 115 E. Neither set gave me trouble, nut-slot wise.

Order that 5 string set and throw out the G? `Course now if I want an E-A-D-G Allen...

- Hello?

- Rob! Hey! it's *** ******

- Who?

- You know...#115, one-piece Bluegum top?

- Huh?
  2. yea don't you love when you buy a bass right from the manufacturer, take a tour of the plant, and feel like a dumb a$$ when you call and they don't know who the hell you.
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I wuz half-goofin'. I wouldn't really expect Rob to remember me.

Too late to talk me outta' my B-E-A-D idee :D . I rush-ordered the 5 string set
    late last night/early this morning. Didya' know, they've got a SIX string set
    of Acousticores? The AB345's should be here in a day or two. I threw in a set of T/I JF346's
    to try on the Ripper. If'n I like those, I'll jus' have to get me that sunburst to
    have one with Roto tapes :p . Money, money, money, mo-ney!
    Christ! I sound like Princess Barbie :rolleyes:

For the new Allen, I thought I'd get a Walnut top for the B-E-A-D setup.
    Ya' know...dark wood = low tuning. Kinda' like color coding? :rolleyes: .
    Yeah I know the pic's a fiver :) ...

4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Don't you love when you feel like a dumb a$$ for actually expecting someone to remember you for taking a tour of their plant?:eek:
  5. well it happened to me with Pedulla, i guess i expected them to remember me because the basses serial number is 666 :)

and duane that is a sweet looking bass, could you slow down please and leave some for the rest of us. :D
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    OOooohh [​IMG] (don't tell DragonLord :eek: ).
    Sorry...sorry. It's that new job :rolleyes: $$$ . Also, I think the new moon
    may have somethin' to do with it. Ya' know..."PMG" (Pre-Moolah-GAS :p ) ?
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That IS memorable!!:eek:

I just have learned that in life there are many people who either can't remember (like me, it must be my former life catching up to me) or don't want to remember their customers. I try not taking it personally, because, afterall...they have something that I want.

On the flipside, I bought my Spector from a small shop in Evanston, IL called Flynn Guitars back in 1995. Since then, I've given them minimal business, stopping in about once every six months for strings or to ogle over their selection. But, every time I go in there, Mike Flynn calls me by my first name and always has a set of DR High Beams waiting for me at the counter!:D If he now had a bass that I wanted, I would go to him before anybody else, probably only for that reason!

PS...I do NOT get kickbacks for sending people in to Flynn...;)
  8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Well, I woulda' had a report for y'all on this "grand experiment" LAST night
    if it weren't for those f*#$in' bone-heads at the local post office.
    Like I said, I rush-ordered those strings and sure enough there was
    a note yesterday sayin' they couldn't deliver but you can pick `em up here,
    yadda-yadda. I drove like crazy to get to the post office `afore they closed.
    The radio says it's 5 of 6 (5:55 PM). Made it! with 5 minutes to spare.
    I get to the main door and some little froot-loop is lockin'-up...."Sorry, we're closed". :mad::mad: .
    What?!?, shuttin' down early to go polish your AK' ?!? I was so pissed I fell asleep :p .
    I guess slammin' doors and walkin' around goin' "grrrrr" really takes it outta' ya' :D .
    I SHOULD have `em tonight, IF the illegal alien/crackhead/illiterate/
    post-person can understand to leave the package on the back stoop :rolleyes: .
    I wonder sometimes, where they get these folks, "Project Bootstrap" ?
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Location just gets better.

I filled-out the note the post-person left Thursday with explicit instructions
    on where to leave the package from just-strings. So naturally, they left
    another note today stating that I could pick up the package anytime after
    8:30 AM tomorrow.

I took a chance and went to the post office. Got there in time! :D .
    Choking back the rage, I handed the 2nd notice to the 900-year-old cluck
    who smelled of mothballs and liniment and asked, "is there a chance this
    package might be in?". It was! I signed for it and left, noticing that it seemed
    a little light. I opened the package as soon as I got in the car. There was
    the TI long flats, but where the f*ck were the Acousticores ?!? Oh wait,
    here's the receipt...they're on back-order [​IMG] . Oh well. I've had Rotos on
    back-order before, but there are some major deci$ions ridin' on this.
    It'd be nice if just-strings went with UPS and/or FedEx for their regular and
    overnight shipping. Ohh Sandra, I've got this hyah idea :rolleyes: .

Stay tooned...

10. anticipation, life is like ketchup.

i feel your pain, just went thru the same thing, ordered 4 sets, 2 came, second style took an extra two weeks.
  11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Finally got that five-string set of Acousticores today. I tried out
    the B, E, A, and D on my Allen. CRAP! :( I got so wrapped-up in gauges,
    I forgot to consider the "floppy-ness" of a nylon core B string.
    My next thought - "what about tapewounds?". NERTZ! :mad: The Labella
    760N series B is 125 and the Rotosound RS88 series tape is 135. That's really
    pushin' it. Oh well. I guess if I want that low B, I'll have to go with a R/A fiver.

Golly gee-whiz. How can I get the articulation of the Acousticores AND
    good solid thump of tapes? Hmmm...ya' knowww, those R/A's are awfully light...

- Hello :confused:

- Hey Rob, it's me again [​IMG]

- :rolleyes:

- Whaddya' think about a doubleneck MB-2? [​IMG]

- :eek: