Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another rosewood vs maple thread!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mongeaux, May 2, 2004.

1. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I am all set to order a new Reverend Rumblefish P/J but I can't decide what material to get on my fingerboard.

Check out this description I found at the Tom Anderson site and see if it sounds right.

The most frequent topic in the neck wood debate is Solid Maple vs. Maple with a rosewood fingerboard : Most people who are interested in the sonic influences of wood have heard it said, a maple neck produces a brighter sound than that of maple with a rosewood fingerboard. However, allow us to elaborate. Solid maple doesn't seem to chop off the bottom end of the sound as much as it seems to tighten and control that bottom. So, a maple neck does have a good bottom end but with clarity, definition and control. Rosewood on the other hand has a looser, louder bottom end sound to it. As far as the high end is concerned, maple does the same thing up here. It tightens and controls the high end so you don't really hear the sparkling upper end that the rosewood makes. (Something like the sizzle of the drummer's high hat cymbals) In the midrange, solid maple is clear and present without sounding hard, while rosewood is breathy and scooped in the mid to upper mid range area.

This seems to be saying that rosewood has more bottom end and more top end to?? I'm still confused.
    I have read other posts on this board and see every answer from it makes no difference in sound to it makes a big difference!

Which would you recommend for classic Jazz, R&B n Blues? I enjoy trying to make faux upright sounds using my thumb. Jamerson had a rosewood and my other hero Duck Dunn has maple! Gah how am I to choose.

What about durability? I hear maple does not need to be oiled since it is already sealed while rosewood should be every now and then. But I also read that using oil on rosewood can cause your frets to come up.

My Jazz bass has rosewood and flat strings. Sometimes I didn't feel like it cut thru well. Of course this may have been the cheezy amp I was playing on for the last few years.

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I've never bought into that constant oiling thing, most EIR FBs should have been oiled or waxed by the builder, unless you have manage to play off the finish it's over kill.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Maple vs rosewood what is best? I like both, granted I don't own any basses with added on maple FBs, I usually like one piece necks when it comes to maple. I do seem to own quite a few basses with RW FBs, but I don't think the FB wood is what sold me on any bass I have bought, it was the whole bass. Is there any way you can play a few similar basses [to each other] to give you an idea where you stand on the "debate"?

I think either would sound fine, so there! :D

4. First of all, congratulations on your good taste! Reverends flat-out rule. I'm G.A.S.'in pretty bad for a P/J or a Brad Houser to go with my J/J, but the funds they are a lackin'..
    As for fretboard material, I think I'd go with rosewood. My Reverend has a rosewood board and a very in-your-face tone with a ton of top-end slice. It's plenty bright as is, and I think a maple board would make it too bright. Even with the darker sound of a P pickup soloed, I think the Reverend's inherent brightness will allow you to cut through.
    What color are you getting?

5. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
  6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    definately Lava Swirl...that is just too cool for words

7. I gotta vote for the Moroccan Gold! It would look killer with a rosewood board, too.

8. Mongeaux

Mongeaux

Apr 14, 2004
    I'm with Spiff. My normal gig cloths are black jeans, black tee shirt and black snakskin boots with gold toe caps. I suppose either would go with what I normally wear but I just dig the gold.

9. I think that rosewood looks better on reverend basses...not like that really helps you much though.

10. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    The photos I have seen of Donald Dunn have all been with rosewood fingerboard P basses. Not saying I have the final word, but I have always felt he was a rosewood guy.

11. Here he is these days with maple:

[​IMG]

And very early (2nd from left) with a rosewood board: