Another rosin quesiton.

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by no_poetic_devic, Dec 27, 2002.

1. When I play my bass after rosining it it will play all the strings except the E. Should I add more rosin?
    And how much is too much?

And when i finish playing with my bow, it leaves the string very sticky and i have to clean them.
    Is this normal????

I'm very much in need of help!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    As a newbie, the tendency is to use too much rosin. I rosin up about once every week or so. The goo can be taken off the strings with a rag, usually. I use a paper towel dampened with Zippo lighter fluid now and then.

As for the E string, my first guess would be technique, but there are other factors; unfriendly strings, the bow may need some new hair, etc. Practice long tones -- this'll learn you how to make a sound.
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    What Ray said.

It's quite possible that your bow speed is too fast. My teachers said to move the bow slower for lower notes, and also to move the bow slower as you move it closer to the bridge.

Notions like "bow speed" and "bow placement" are alien to the EB experience. There's a wealth of different tibres and approaches you can explore under the guidance of your instructor.
  4. Also, the tenson of the bow hair will effect the ability to get the string moving. I have found that when that occures on by bass, I usually have the bow tightened too much. With the proper tension of the bow you should be able to force the hair to touch the bow with moderate pressure.

I rosin my bow at the beginning of rehearsals/concerts and depending on the weather and other things I may rosin at intermission or break.

BTW - shouldn't this be in the rosin thread? Where are the "moderators" when you need them.