Another round of Name That Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Brian K, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Hey all,

Now that I'm posting more and more, I decided to change my name from rupect to my real name.

I'm going to try a bass that's being sold locally tomorrow, and I was hoping you guys may be able to tell me what you think it might be.

The owner only knows it's approximate age (50-70 years) and that it's in good condition, other than the cracked finish.

I've attached some pictures that the owner took. Any ideas and guesses will be gladly appreciated.

2. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
  3. Brian, I can't tell you what this bass is, but those machines are the exact ones that the company in Romania is putting on some basses that JR is offering.
    Talk to Eric Roy for more info on the machines.
    The bass actually looks Italian to me or a copy of an Italian model.
    Would you want to tell us what he's asking? If it sounds as good as it looks, you may have something here....unless he's asking 50K HA?
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Looks like a gypsy bass to me. Probably new or almost new. Should have an artificially darkened interior and a spicy smell inside.
  5. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I just got back from trying the bass, and I'm no closer to figuring out if it's worth it. She's asking US$5500 on eBay in an auction ending today.

The bass looks real nice, except for the cracked finish. I saw a mondolin with the same kind of cracking, and it was the builders first try at an oil varnish. Maybe this bass too, was a trial and error instrument.

The sound of the bass was weak. Maybe there's a gem in there somewhere, but the condition and the set-up appear to me to be fairly good, but the sound is not. I would have liked to take thet bass to my local shop to get an expert opinion, but she wasn't interested in letting me do that.

Oh well.
  6. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    The owner says it was her grandfathers, and he had it 50-70 years. Spicy smell? I don't get it, but it's still funny.
  7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The spicy smell of recently cut wood?
  8. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Spicy smell? You mean the bass or Grandpa? Fresh cut wood or Grandpa's Old Spice after shave? There is still much to clarify about this mystery bass.

Sorry. :bag:
  9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    A few things here......

First...... Did I give you permission to use my creative thoughts on ur title?

Second, Arnold? What's with you and the Gypsy thing? Did you get taken by one of those 'Fortune Tellers' in NYC awhile back? Huh, huh? .......... lol

Ok, Kidding aside.... that's right, these 'are' the jokes.....

That Bass has a similar shape to my Martini. Could be a copy of it. Here is my link to the Martini for refrence;

The wide lower bouts and sloped but not to narrow shoulders remind me of Martini. The Work though looks a bit 'too' neat to be Italian. Look very close at any Italian Bass and you will find something out of wack. The Violin corners on my Bass are 'all' slightly different and from front to back as well. The rear 'Tear Drop' Button is un-even as well. The Sound, a small 'Cannon' to say the least and with that sweet distinctive 'Italian' tone.

If that Bass was Italian and 50-70 years old, the price would be about $40K-$60K unless it was a complete 'DOG'. I don't see an ounce of 'playing' wear on that Bass.

At $5,500......... It has to be a newer Bass with faked age appearance just like Arnold was saying. Even Pullmann offers a 'crackled' Varnish on their new Basses if ordered that way.

If the tone is not there, Walk away !! My 2-3 Year old Shen 7/8 has a better sound than many Basses 50 years old. Age does not improve a 'bad' Bass.
  10. Brian K

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    Well, somebody has bid on the bass.

I do beleive the owner that it was her grandfather's bass, and that it probably is old. I would guess it's some sort of eastern european copy.

I e-mailed the bidder and asked him to keep me updated.

If he tells me it's an old Italian monster that I walked away from because it wasn't set up right, you probably won't hear from me again.