Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another routine university application meltdown

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, t'is the season. How many others on here are applying to university? Which ones? Which programs? Have a meltdown yet?

I'm practicing for my upcoming auditions for the University of Toronto, McGill University, and Humber College jazz program auditions. My meltdown occurs now because:

I might not get an audition at McGill because I waited until the last possible minute to send in my pre-audition audition CD which was supposed to be there today. Because of my idiocy and the lack of speed at Canada Post, even though I took it in on Friday, the fastest it can be there is Wednesday. Oh, and on the advice of one person present at the session, I recorded All The Things You Are with BG, which (IMO) resulted in a stylistic nightmare but I can't go back and re-record it now. Also, I hadn't played BG for more than half an hour in almost three months so my intonation was just delightful.

I have to learn Groovin' High, Billie's Bounce, and a Ray Brown solo transcription (all on upright bass.) The Ray Brown is probably the easiest. Groovin' High is, at the moment, quite possibly going to send my left forearm and hand into convulsions. Thanks, Diz. Compound this with the fact that the University of Toronto, which requires all auditioners to play Groovin' High on their respective instruments, only accepts two bass players a year.

The only thing I'm not worried about in relation to school is Humber College, mostly because I have no fear about getting accepted, as I could've if I had applied last year.

2. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well, yours sounds worse than mine, but... my application to UT (for a masters of engineering) is due Wednesday, and two of the three people I asked for recommendations from haven't done them yet, even though I asked them months ago, and sent the contact info two weeks ago :scowl:

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ouch....haters. Some friends they are. Do you have any backups?

-Mike

4. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately, I don't. But one is on the admissions committee, and the other is a professor in the department (and used to be on the admissions committee). I don't think anyone will mind if their recommendations come in late.