Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Sadowsky thread- Metro and Tokyo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Aug 11, 2004.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    notice i didnt say "vs." ! :)
    my USACG bass is wonderful, but it is heavy. I may have to move it. So I am looking at Sadowsky again for a Jazz 5 -
    i spoke to Roger and he tells me there is a natural/maple metro in stock-
    also, he just took in a pre-owned Tokyo in natural ( with inlays and binding! ) and he needs to figure out the price.
    things to consider are-
    i love block inlays and binding
    the Tokyo has a boost and cut treble which will eliminate a need for a passive tone control
    i believe the Tokyo is full size ( a good thing)
    the Tokyo is heavier that the Metro ( a not so good thing, my back hates it, but heavier Ash sounds better to me)
    so.... lets hear from Tokyo owners and NYC and Metro owners...
    which is the smart move for me?

2. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    As a former NYC owner, I say go for the Tokyo.
    Logic in reverse order of importance:

- The full-sized Tokyo may be lighter than the Metro

- I've heard that the Sadowsky Tokyo sounds more Fendery

- You, AG, won't be satisfied with a "subjectively lesser " tone

FWIW: The Tokyo has differrent pups and pre than the Metro and NYC.

- If it were me looking for a 5-string, I'd get Flodshon's NYC-5 now! ;)

[​IMG]

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    oops! i will probaby get harrassed for not doing a search, and i found a similar topic, but i still want to hear more.
    JR - i emailed Fred and he said i could have it for $1300! ( i'm so lying !!)
    actually, it is a good deal if you consider the original price, but i still cant swing it right now.
    i want to hear more about tonal differences. are the Tokyo's 34 or 35 scale?

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    [Soapbox on] Adrian, as we get older, our bodies continue to wear. Sooner or later, even lightest bass will cause your back to hurt. The solution? Train and strenghten your back at a higher intensity than a night of gigging with a bass. Medium weight deadlifts and shrugs along with a good abdominal program should do the trick. I think way too many players [and middle aged men] are soft, fat, or just out of shape. Bass playing may be good for the fingers, but doesn't do a thing for the rest of the body. I may never reach my max potential on the bass because I value pumping iron and speed walking more...Example: You know I'm in the military and I travel all the time. I pack heavy and 60-75 pound suitcases/duffles used to kill me in the airports. I've been doing 125 pound dumbell shrugs (each hand) for the past 8 years--now heavy suitcases feel like a loaf of bread...[Soapbox off]

In other words, a lighter bass may not be the best solution. You may need to exercise/strenghten your back and abs.
    Your USACG bass may be all that you need.

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    G-man....go get Fred's Sadowsky...I think that's the one you are looking for. If you don't like it, you will not have any problems selling it on ebay :D :help:

you need to fix your Sadowsky GAS once and for all :D

6. The Tokyo 5 is 34" and it does have a full size body. Not sure how much Roger's pre-owned Tokyo weighs, but my RJ5 is about 10lbs. With a Comfort Strapp I can do three hour-long sets without back pain.

I love blocks and bindings too. To me a '70s Jazz Bass is about the most beautiful bass on earth.

The Tokyo preamp is a bit warmer than the US/Metro preamp. I dig having the ability to cut treble and always keep it rolled back a bit. I've been considering the passive tone control, but just out of curiousity. . . Tokyo basses have single coil pickups, which distinguishes them from US and Metro basses I believe. They are relatively quite as far as single coil pickups go. Despite preamp and pickup differences, the Tokyo still sounds like a Sadowsky to my ears.

Obviously tone is a subjective thing, but I love the sound of my bass. I frequently receive unsolicited positive comments about my tone. I try to explain to people that the tone is mostly in my fingers, but the bass deserves some credit I suppose.

This is a tough decision, Adrian. The Tokyo's '70s aesthetic is part of the reason I love my bass so much. However, I think I could be perfectly happy with a Metro too. If back problems were a serious consideration I'd probably go with a Metro.

To make a long story even longer, does anyone know if the Tokyo and Metro lines use different species(?) of ash? The two Tokyo basses I've played were not nearly as heavy as the Fenders they're modelled after. In other words, I was under the impression that even though Tokyos are modelled after the late '70s Jazz Bass, they don't use the same heavy Northern Ash.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I really am a fan of all the Sadowsky lines, in my eyes Roger can do no wrong ( when it comes to basses ;) ). I am a proud owner of a Tokyo and i compare it hands down to the other 2 lines ( Metro, NYC). One way or another your going to have a real special instrument Adrian. Go for it :hyper: . Heres my Tokyo http://sadowsky.com/stock/view/62371.html

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well, i had this long reply...but my computer spit it out-
    i am going to try this Tokyo.... if it is too heavy, i will try a Metro...
    JR, your post is very valid. That out of shape fat guy.. that's me! it wasn't always that way!.
    Major, seriously? i had not noticed that you kinda like Sadowsky.. :D
    anyway, here she is...
    [​IMG]

9. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I have an early Tokyo JT/J
    It uses all USA hardware , pickups and electrics.
    Later on Tokyo made an all new version using different pickups and pre-amp.

I have been looking for another Sadowsky and this is what I have seen
    used Tokyo models sell for about $1400+/-
    used Metros $1500-1800
    used NY $2000 - $2800

Thanks

Robert VanLane

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You know what color pick guard would look really great on their , Adrin knows what i am goint to say. ( Pearliod). :hyper:

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    or white.... :smug:

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    THAT is my kind of J-Bass...it has every option that I would ask for. But for some strange reason, it looks heavy. What does it weigh?

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    not light... 9.9 lbs
    i swear the USACG has to be more - all i have is a bathroom scale and it says my F bass weighs the same as the USACG --- no way!
    i'm with you, i love the look.

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    It sure does look sharp! BTW, when did you get a USACG bass? I may be mistaken, but I thought you sold the one you built last year. Post a pic.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    same one, i bought it back - j retro pre, ultra jazz pups, it will be interesting A-B'ing them
    USACG....
    [​IMG]
    Tokyo...
    [​IMG]
    and the Metro..
    [​IMG]

16. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Hey Adrian - I suggest you give J.S. Basuki a pm if you're interested in a Sadoswky Jazz Tokyo 'cos he wants to move his :D
    I'll vouch for him that he's a super guy and you can be rest assured that you'll get the bass if you decide to get it from him :)

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I like the bottom one Best. Is that a Metro? The Inlays on the maple neck aren't as classic and cool to my eyes as the same inlays on a Rosewood fingerboard.

Will be very interested in hearing your review of the Tokyo AG.

18. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I like the look of the tokyo, I think the binding and block inlays goes well with the natural ash and the black pickguard.

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Okay Adrian, my $.02...

The US Sadowsky preamp and pickups are the bomb! Get the VTC if you feel you must. I went back and forth on the VTC, didn't get it, and frankly don't miss it at all. The pre on the Metro is just ridiculous. I'm getting giggly just thinking about it now.

I personally like the smaller Metro body, for both the feel and the weight issue. The Tokyo is an awesome looking bass...but you're a pro and sound matters more...no?

To me, the true soul of a Sadowsky lives in the US pre and pickups. Go Metro.

20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    What Craig said Adrian! If you truly want to experience and check out the full Sadowsky Mojo, Go Metro! (or NYC of course)